sats overkill

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Well I'm going to put the cat amongst the pigeons.... my DD's school doesn't show any sign of SATS attack. At all!
In fact, it is making me quite nervous. Science has been hardly looked at since last year, no maths tests since practice SATS test the week before Christmas (?!). With all the revision all these other schools are doing I fear my DD's school will not fare greatly.
Maybe they'll start after the half term??? :shock:
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

medwaymum wrote:Well I'm going to put the cat amongst the pigeons.... my DD's school doesn't show any sign of SATS attack. At all!
In fact, it is making me quite nervous. Science has been hardly looked at since last year, no maths tests since practice SATS test the week before Christmas (?!). With all the revision all these other schools are doing I fear my DD's school will not fare greatly.
Maybe they'll start after the half term??? :shock:
Or it could be that the children are just that good that they need no further revision!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

In my opinion I would rather the schools did three practice papers and then looked at what the child got wrong and focused on helping them with that. There is little point in doing paper after paper if the teaching does not help the children plug gaps in understanding.
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

I asked my DD tonight if they had done any sats revision this week,(didn't think she had, but thought I might not have been listening when she told me!) ....and she said "no, the S word is never mentioned !) She would like to do some, she said, "I'll ask the teacher next week!!!!" strange child, loves tests,can get on with it instead of hanging around waiting for something to do, she tells me! I think they probably will start a bit after the hols.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Guest55 :D

the voice of reason, that's how it should be, thatis teh POINT of assessment.....

now why do the gubmint think they know better than us teachers
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

yoyo123 wrote: now why do the gubmint think they know better than us teachers
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's a first, never been called that before. :D

Does it have some deeper meaning?

:wink:
wheathampsteadmum

who should I be screaming at?

Post by wheathampsteadmum »

"The National Union of Teachers threatened a boycott of Sats but a ballot of members failed to generate sufficient backing to trigger action"
With this kind of support, what hope have we of changing our childrens education. Accepting this level of stress and pressure ,that is put on our children now, will come back to haunt us when they turn to drink and drugs to escape the world we have created for them. No wonder we are a nation of prozac users.

Who should I be screaming at?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

but take that in context.

There are many teachers unions. what if one year 6 class had a teacher who boycotted sats and another who was amember of nasuwt, atl, pat....didn't? Would you be happy if your child was in the class who didn't have sats results?

I can't remeber the actual wording of the motion for boycotting now, but as the facts were set out it was not as clear cut as you make out.

Not sure what you mean by " with support like this"
moose

Post by moose »

In my opinion I would rather the schools did three practice papers and then looked at what the child got wrong and focused on helping them with that. There is little point in doing paper after paper if the teaching does not help the children plug gaps in understanding.
Totally agree. My son also mentioned that if they check tests at all, it takes about an hour to go through one test. I really think that after 1 yr of hard work he deserves some peace before secondary schools starts. The last bit of carefree time he could have had is being taken by more tests.
Not that he is that worried. Bored and burnt out more like and in need of more positive and stimulating teaching.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

DS1 told me today that a handful of his Maths class are being tested to L6.

Given 20 questions and then being told, 'that's a L6,' after teacher checks them.

Makes me feel a bit better. It's not just more of the same, then.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now