Time Tables Tips

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daogroupie

Re: Time Tables Tips

Post by Daogroupie »

We used Time Tables Snap and some great online testing where you can just the table and it will ask you four and five questions then give you a score.

It is quick and easy and can be done anytime.

My dds loved them because it was instant gratification with congratulation messages flashing up on the screen.

Their school did daily timed time tables testing.

There is no doubt at all that students who know their times tables have an advantage in Maths exams so it is really worth doing.

I wonder what the average numeracy level is in this country now compared to ten years ago.

Shop assistants always seem so amazed when I pay the correct amount in cash.

"That is exactly right!" they say with wonder in their eyes.

It is the currency of our country and it is the ten times table with an extra few coins.

Parents always think our local prep does not test the students at 4 and 7.

There is no actual written test but they just use real life situations: Find your name in a sea of badges. Count the steps as we go upstairs. How many minutes left until playtime?

How many chairs around the table?

Maths is all around us and it is easy to engage with it and use it constantly. DG
OverEagerDad

Post by OverEagerDad »

Thanks to all for the advice.

DD is 6 turning 7 in a few weeks, so I don't want to push too hard!!

She can recite the numbers 3 6 9 etc but I don't think she gets what they are, I think she has just memorised a list of numbers.

Thanks again all
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

OverEagerDad wrote:Thanks to all for the advice.

DD is 6 turning 7 in a few weeks, so I don't want to push too hard!!

She can recite the numbers 3 6 9 etc but I don't think she gets what they are, I think she has just memorised a list of numbers.

Thanks again all
By 'chanting', I meant e.g.

One three is three
Two threes are six
Three threes are nine
and so on up to Twelve threes are thirty-six, not just 'counting up in threes', btw. So when you see a calculation involving e.g. 8 x 3, your immediate response is 24.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

Recite them in the car ("one two is two, two twos are four, three twos are six" etc) on the way to school, over and over again.
Test them with quick fire questions.
Promise them £10 for learning them all up to 12x12.
This worked great for me :D
OverEagerDad

Post by OverEagerDad »

Thanks Toadmum, that's how I read it :) just saying mine at the min is just on the 3 6 9 at the min :)

Thanks Deb, I've anted up a trip to the disney store as soon as she can "chant" super fast her 2's, 3's, 4's 5's and 10's.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

All kids are susceptible to the odd bit of bribery as long as it's not OTT. I like to think of it as encouragement. If they can do it for rewards, it means they are capable of doing it. "Oh Mum, I can't do it!"
"You can have the XBox game."
Scores full marks.
Lol
OverEagerDad

Post by OverEagerDad »

OverEagerDad wrote:Thanks Deb, I've anted up a trip to the disney store as soon as she can "chant" super fast her 2's, 3's, 4's 5's and 10's.
Never underestimate the power Disney!!

Within a week of offering up the trip she can now chant her 2s, 3s, and all 4s apart from 4 x 4 or 4 x 5 for some reason.

This is gonna be expensive ;)

OED
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I would suggest that you also mix them up (out of order) and learn them as division facts as well as multiplication.
OverEagerDad

Post by OverEagerDad »

Indeed YoYo123, I won't say the name but we have an app she uses which turns times tables into a game.

My aim really is to get a solid foundation going forwards into KS2
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

DD, being dyslexic, never managed to learn them by rote - and we tried everything mentioned above.!

But she scored a level 6 in the old KS2 tests, got a 9 for maths GCSE and is now predicted A*s for maths and further maths A levels - so do not despair if they don't seem to go in.

She does say that she wishes she could remember them because it would make things easier, so I'm not advocating not bothering at all - it is a really useful skill to have.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now