KS2 SATS 2020 prep

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Fishface101

Re: KS2 SATS 2020 prep

Post by Fishface101 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Which is funny because half of the people who have posted work in primary schools, (as well as being parents....)
Why is it funny?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

There are plenty of publishers who have produced material for parents who, like you, feel that they need to supplement the school’s preparation.
I’ve seen lots in bookshops and Amazon.
Just check that it covers current curriculum.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

Schools spend year 6 preparing for SATs. When my DS brought home his books and folders etc after he finished year 6, I was astonished at the quantity of prep work they had done.
I really wouldn't bother doing anything at home, especially if you're doing work for eleven plus. In any case, grammar schools all do their own baseline test during the first couple of weeks, so SATs are really just for measuring the schools progress, not your child's.
Fishface101

Post by Fishface101 »

Thank you both - ds has already done 11 plus last month. Parents info meeting this past week - they are revising yr 5 and intending to cram in yr 6 and did not mention any prep for Sats.

So nope they won’t be doing much anytime soon. My ds said this week he’s only learnt one new thing so far this term. It’s not challenging but the brain is a muscle (I think) and needs continuous exercise of some sort. :lol:

I’ve settled on bond books (were good for 11-plus) - not too long sections and will help with sentence structure as cem was multiple choice so no help here. His handwriting lets him down so hoping doing some work at same time as practising handwriting means less boring than writing lines out again and again. Had the eleven plus been written we would have hugely struggled.

Supported by also online maths “I excel”. :wink:

I am hoping we get through all this by end of jan when I plan to leave him alone - hopefully sat practice will kick in at school a bit latter on.
turnip08

Post by turnip08 »

DS sat/passed the 11+ and then did nothing extra but DS made sure he completed the homework which was mostly about SATs preparation at his school. However, DS was going to a secondary where SATs were not thrown into the mix for setting (together with the CATs many secondaries use to assess for setting in Y7) so I may have thought differently if he was going to one of those (though, tbh, we were all fed up with extra work after the 11+). Our school used Achieve 100 Plus for SPAG, English and Maths. Good luck!
Fishface101

Post by Fishface101 »

Thanks, i think our primary school plays down Sats but I also think my ds is in for a boring year when in class anyway.

Won’t do any psychological damage some extra work and it keeps his hand in re work each night After school in prep for when at secondary - won’t be such a shock. :D
Fishface101

Post by Fishface101 »

Have now confirmed school intend to do some practice two to three weeks before Sats.

That’s not a lot in my opinion!

:D
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

My school did very little formal preparation.
Our year 6 teacher is amazing, all year they have been revising and building on previous work.
This Christmas they won’t be doing maths Sats papers they will be finding out who killed Santa, by solving a logic and maths based mystery. They will then write a report to the DCI explaining how they solved the mystery.
They will solve the Quest of the Golden Casket , which coincidentally covers a huge amount of maths.

They will stop Dr Evil blowing up the world, by tracking him down using algebra, angles, rounding to nearest 10, 100, 1000. While choosing their crack team of agents they will use practical maths to manage their budget to make the best use of their limited resources.

Somewhere along the line, they will use a lot of clues to work out the mystery of the disappearing guest at the SPAG bol hotel.

They “don’t do much preparation” either.
Fishface101

Post by Fishface101 »

yoyo123 wrote:My school did very little formal preparation.
Our year 6 teacher is amazing, all year they have been revising and building on previous work.
This Christmas they won’t be doing maths Sats papers they will be finding out who killed Santa, by solving a logic and maths based mystery. They will then write a report to the DCI explaining how they solved the mystery.
They will solve the Quest of the Golden Casket , which coincidentally covers a huge amount of maths.

They will stop Dr Evil blowing up the world, by tracking him down using algebra, angles, rounding to nearest 10, 100, 1000. While choosing their crack team of agents they will use practical maths to manage their budget to make the best use of their limited resources.

Somewhere along the line, they will use a lot of clues to work out the mystery of the disappearing guest at the SPAG bol hotel.

They “don’t do much preparation” either.

Wow that sounds amazing, your year 6 teacher certainly puts a lot of effort into this!

I think our school is stilling getting a number of kids up to speed with year 5 work, my ds teacher did say they are working towards greater depth with ds so some hope of them challenging him.

I think I would rather do something to supplement his learning than not and gets him use for the need to do homework most nights for secondary whether that be a comp or grammar. It’s the risk I am prepared to take - he gets lots of time to do anything he wants so there is balance in our lives and as far as I can tell he appears to be happy. :D
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Cracking. Can I suggest you start thinking about how you are going to stay one perceived jump ahead through secondary and unoversity now, as you may need to brush up your own skills in case he chooses a subject you are not familiar with? :lol: Because, of course, those university lecturers might well spend the first year getting other A level students up to speed and won't be skilled enough to differentiate work just like those pesky Y6 teachers now....! :lol:

Of course, I am being factious, but the description yoyo has given is pretty much in line with Y6 teachers up and down the country - SATs preparation is not simply sitting in a classroom doing mock tests. It is building on everything they have done so far and doing some "formal preparation". The formal preparation is the bit that killed my boys - it is exhausting and boring and monotonous and stressful and the last thing they needed was to come home and have us banging on that they should do more work, and losing sight that these are just 10 year olds. If you want him to understand about homework every night at secondary school, why not just curl up with him for 30 minutes each night and read his favourite book? The ramifications for that 30 minutes will likely last far, far further in his mental, emotional and educational psyche than the mishmash of father/educator role.

In all seriousness, you will have to learn to trust the educators at some point...

This thread does appear to have run its course, however.