KS2 SATS 2020 prep

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Fishface101

Re: KS2 SATS 2020 prep

Post by Fishface101 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Cracking. Can I suggest you start thinking about how you are going to stay one perceived jump ahead through secondary and unoversity now, as you may need to brush up your own skills in case he chooses a subject you are not familiar with? :lol: Because, of course, those university lecturers might well spend the first year getting other A level students up to speed and won't be skilled enough to differentiate work just like those pesky Y6 teachers now....! :lol:

Of course, I am being factious, but the description yoyo has given is pretty much in line with Y6 teachers up and down the country - SATs preparation is not simply sitting in a classroom doing mock tests. It is building on everything they have done so far and doing some "formal preparation". The formal preparation is the bit that killed my boys - it is exhausting and boring and monotonous and stressful and the last thing they needed was to come home and have us banging on that they should do more work, and losing sight that these are just 10 year olds. If you want him to understand about homework every night at secondary school, why not just curl up with him for 30 minutes each night and read his favourite book? The ramifications for that 30 minutes will likely last far, far further in his mental, emotional and educational psyche than the mishmash of father/educator role.

In all seriousness, you will have to learn to trust the educators at some point...

This thread does appear to have run its course, however.
There is so much in the above that is offensive and illogical that no amount of smiley faces can negate the total disregard for another’s view / parental choice that happens to be different to yours. And of course now you have ordained that it’s the end of this thread, it is!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Yes, of course you are right - and me telling you I was being facetious doesn’t override the fact that you find what I said offensive... It was not meant to be offensive - it was very much tongue in cheek based on many years on here where I see children subjected to extreme 11+ tuition, extreme homeworking, extreme disappointment from parents when they don’t achieve....and was trying to inject some balance that the vast majority of children in this country do well without a massive input from parents. I appreciate that you parent differently to me - my children have done ok without it though, so my approach worked for us. If I don’t agree with something, however, on an open forum, I will disagree with it because, I believe, that saying nothing implies collusion. And if you ask something on an open forum you will get differing views expressed, sometimes forcefully, sometimes with attempted humour. I realise I have failed in that respect.

However I do think the thread has run its course, as you asked what others were doing and literally nobody has said anything except that they aren’t.
Moderators

Post by Moderators »

OP has asked what prep people are doing. So far the answer is none. Arguments can be made from both sides about whether one should being doing any, and what form that might take, but that was not the question. However, if a question is asked it should be accepted that the answers might not be what one wants to hear. Please try to play nicely and people, it's the weekend.
Fishface101

Post by Fishface101 »

Moderators wrote:OP has asked what prep people are doing. So far the answer is none. Arguments can be made from both sides about whether one should being doing any, and what form that might take, but that was not the question. However, if a question is asked it should be accepted that the answers might not be what one wants to hear. Please try to play nicely and people, it's the weekend.
Thank you for the moderation I appreciate people have different views and some people expressed them in a non judgemental way and i have thanked them. I also am intelligent enough to know that opinions differ - it’s a forum I get it! Thank you also for pointing out my question was what not if. And Kenyancowgirl said they were being factious ( relating or inclined to dissension) not facetious - please read again. Note the word dissension means disagreement that leads to discord.

Happy to hear all sides even if challenging my parental choices but no need to infer I am causing psychological damage to my child!

It was just a simple question to start will.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I typed facetious. I was on my phone - typos unfortunately do happen. You can see that from my second comment where I say facetious again! A simple typo that is all....

I have never even heard of that other word. :? :?

I will bow out now....
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now