Sats KS3 Science

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

chad

Post by chad »

I won't get my soapbox out again but there was a very good debate on this in '11plus Experience' - 'Not Pushing Children' thread.........have a read.... :lol:
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Belinda wrote:Chad,
lol...
I've not read it yet but I'll see if I can find it. As if I could possibly 'push' my children... I should be so lucky! All four arrived home, had drinks, chit chat etc and all have now dispersed. Two are on the computer in the study watching You Tube. Another is in her room either listening to or downloading music.. It's ALL she ever does... The last one is in front of the tv... and I'm off to the kitchen to cook tea! :P :P
Belinda, agreed - with four to look after, I find there isn't much time for "pushing" - it's more a case of being there to help when needed. It's reassuring to find that other families are in the same situation. The only time I've pushed any of my kids lately is uphill on a bike... :lol:
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

katel

Post by katel »

Let's agree to differ. I have always supported my children 100% in their school work, but for me that does not involve providing extra work unless absolutely necessary. I provide support and encouragement in any work set by the school. I bought practice 11+ papers because the school did not provide them and I may get some sort of revision guide when GCSEs and A levels loom.

But I have not and will not do any extra work for SATS. They are a measure of the effectiveness of the school and its teaching, not of the child, and parents doing extra work means that any gaps in the school's performance will be hidden and possibly not addressed.

SATS are important to the school. They are irrelevant to the child.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

katel,

I cannot agree that NC tests are not important for the child - the child's self esteem is important and they are used in many schools for groups in Y7 and Y10 - if I know there is a gap in learning I will work with the school to address it.

GCSE tables and A level tables are far higher profile - they judge the school too -
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

katel

Post by katel »

I have not come across any school (although I could be wrong - it has happened :D !) that uses SATS as anything but a very small element of the setting process. Many schools don't use them at all. I would buy 11+ papaers and maybe GCSE and A level revision aids because these exams all have a direct benefit to my child. SATS don't. I agree that children want to do well - that's why I encourage and support generallly.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Belinda, regarding importance of KS3 Science results, the following thread has information and may be of help...

GCSE Options!!
Guest55 wrote:The new advice - that all at level 6 or above should be offered triple science - comes into effect this September - from Hansard:

Mr. Nick Gibb (Bognor Regis and Littlehampton) (Con): At our last Education Question Time, the Minister for Schools said that in future all pupils would be entitled to study two sciences at GCSE level. We welcomed the Chancellor's Budget announcement that in future all pupils who achieved level 6 in science at key stage 3 would be entitled to study the three separate sciences at GCSE. Currently, 480,000 students take the double-award GCSE, compared with just 43,000 who take GCSEs in the three separate sciences. Does the Minister agree that all pupils should be given the opportunity to study the three separate sciences? What action will he take to encourage all schools to make them available to all pupils?
:D
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Katel,

I'm was struck by your comment of 'gaps in the system' etc.

I'm plugging those gaps! I completely agree, the Sats are measuring the teaching ability but it was those same results that caught my attention to the fact that all was not well at my daughter's primary school.

Dismissed as an interfering mother with an average ability child, I got my daughter independently assessed. My child is above average but was bored and had no confidence in herself.

To plug the gaps at school I have now enrolled her on a educational programme and still do extra at home.

When we go to parents evening in April , the teacher will tell me that she has come on leaps and bounds - she has. But how much of this is down to the school teaching. Not a lot me thinks and I'll be telling them so.