Y3 Homeschooling Timetable

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
OverEagerDad

Y3 Homeschooling Timetable

Post by OverEagerDad »

Hi All,

As with all we are now homeschooling. I am fine with content, but I have no idea on how much time to devote to each topic.

This is my group of topics

Maths (+, ×, ÷, -)
Maths (shapes, fractions)
Reading
Literacy
Science (we are doing plants and habitats)
Art
Geography (rivers and mountains)
History (industrial revolution)

Are there any primary teachers or anyone in the know that can help me with the time breakdown for the above.

Thanks in advance

OED
kenyancowgirl

Re: Y3 Homeschooling Timetable

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Are you homeschooling through choice? As in you have withdrawn your child from school permanently?

Or is it that your school is closed? Because if it’s the latter, school may be closed physically but teachers are still supposed to be helping with work setting etc.
OverEagerDad

Post by OverEagerDad »

Schools closed and even tho my wife is a key worker I can work at home so we are having DD with us at home.

The school has provided the content, but not a timetable as such. So I was hoping for a bit of guidance along the lines of 30% of the week on maths, 30% english, 10% reading, 30% the rest of the content. Just so I can break it up sensibly.

Thanks in advance

OED
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Most schools break it up into maths and English every morning and ‘other stuff’ in afternoon. In year 3 about 40-45 mins session.
Usually because the children are a bit more alert in the morning!

The subjects do overlap a lot though and you could do it as a topic type approach. Design and build machine to make a task easier as part of the Industrial Revolution topic (perhaps link to a story you are reading together eg a tortoise lifter for Esio Trot, make charts to record the weight of the tortoise, write a letter from Mr Silver etc)

With the science, do a survey of invertebrates or plants in different test areas (eg 30cm by 30cm square, 5cm deep), this would cover tally charts, measuring etc. Record your information as a bar graph, draw conclusions from it (do different areas have different populations? Why do you think that might be? What food woukd Esio Trot eat? (research plants) Where would be the best place to look for them?

You could also build bug hotels or bird feeders.

Don’t forget art and crafts!

I’ve gone off topic a bit as I realise you just wanted timing breakdown, but at her age I wouldn’t make the sessions too long. 7/8 year olds can’t really sustain long periods of concentration. Maths and English daily, try and make them fun.
OverEagerDad

Post by OverEagerDad »

Perfect, thanks!!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

https://www.mathplayground.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
a brilliant collection of maths games, the logic ones are excellent too.

If you have a pc or laptop (it’s a flash game) google Ghostblasters 2.
A really fast paced game which you can play with her.

You choose the parameter, multiples of a number or bonds to 10 or 20.
Ghosts with numbers fly at you and you have to be the first to shoot the ones with “correct” numbers on. First to 10 wins. It’s great fun and really good at instilling instant recall.

Do you have a pack of cards?
Turn up 2 at a time. Multiply them together (you could take out Jack , Queen and King)

If she gets answer right she gets the pair = 1 point, if not you do.
You can do the same with adding them together, too.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now