Year 2

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MrsMck

Year 2

Post by MrsMck »

Hi, just wanting to ask if we are on the right track? Obviously the SATS have been cancelled so my son came home from school with his mock papers so we could go through them whilst school was closed. He got 36/40 in the reading & 39/60 in the maths. 22/25 in the arithmetic and 17/35 on the reasoning. I have been going through the reasoning paper with him this week & for most of them he didn’t read the questions properly. Oh & just to add he is a late August born. Many thanks :D
kenyancowgirl

Re: Year 2

Post by kenyancowgirl »

On the right track for what? Y2? I’d go and dig in the garden, plant some seeds, do Joe Wick PE coach on tv - have fun - read together, play games together - enjoy your child, you won’t get this chance again. They are y2...
Nella

Post by Nella »

When my children were in year 2 they had absolutely no idea that they were even doing SATs. I was extremely impressed that their school managed to keep them so low key.

As Kenyancowgirl says enjoy the time with them now. There’s more than enough time in the future for worries about progress etc.

Play, play and play some more!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Exactly what the others have said!

Cook together (weighing and counting, following instructions and reading them correctly!)
Read books together, play games and just enjoy being in each others company. Young children don't need formal lessons to learn (something I wish government would realise!)
MrsMck

Post by MrsMck »

Thank you for the replies :D I had read on this forum somewhere that if children get level 3’s in the KS1 Sats then they are on the right track, I guess this is something that I will never find out. He does spend a lot of time playing, he has a great imagination and is very creative. I have an older daughter who attends a grammar school & I would love for him to do the same :D
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

cross that hurdle when you come to it.
Make the most of this time. Do puzzles, build stuff, read, imagine...

Use this to build his thinking skills and a love of learning. These eillnset him in gois stead for the future. Forget ‘Level 3’, that’s way out if date anyway.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now