maths sats score

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's usually a predicted level - my child did the Year 5 optional and got a level 5 but only about 7% do.

I will PM a link to past papers if you want to try another paper.
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

Thanks Guest55, that would be great.
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

My dd is in year five and has been doing some practise SATS papers. I was very surprised at this given she won't do SATS until next year. However she seems to think they will be used to see what level she is at now. Is anyones else's school doing this. DD has only been with this school since September so I am not really too up on what tehy do there.

Mel
DD97

Post by DD97 »

Hi, I think it is fairly common practice to carry out 'mock' KS2 tests in year 5. I think some some schools get the year 5's to sit SATS as the same time as year 6.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

That's right. At the school I teach at every year group in KS2 (and the Year 2s) will sit either the optional SATs (Years 3 , 4 and 5) or the end of KS SATs. This is typical in a state school.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

DD97 the tests sat in Year 5 are designed for Year 5 - they are different papers.
DD97

Post by DD97 »

Thanks for the clarification Guest55 - I never realised that! I will check that out at our local school. We have several parents saying their year 5 children are already achieving L5s so I assumed they were taking the usual KS2 mocks not a different version :shock:
DD97

Post by DD97 »

My child is just approaching her KS2 tests. She has taken a few mocks since the Easter break and has achieving around 66/100 in English, 57/80 in Science and 78-86/100 in Maths. A pretty good solid 4a in all, but not quite there in terms of the L5's - I'm hoping she has a good time on the day and achieves at least one level 5 for her own confidence. The maths is looking fairly solid ! (She is an Aug born so young in her year). Keeping my fingers crossed
MGSMUM

Post by MGSMUM »

This is a question for Guest 55. You mention in an earlier post about the optional Year 5 SATS, and only about 7% achieving a Level 5. Do you know if this a national statistic, or is it only relevant to your area? Where can I find this kind of statistical information? The reason I ask is because my son failed the 11+ by a whisker, and he is predicted 5A in all of his Year 6 SATS. He had actually achieved level 5 in all of the Year 5 optional SATS (apart from writing, which was a 4B, but which was assessed as a 5B by Feb '08 - his literacy teacher making particular comment of his rapid progress between Sept & Feb.)

However, I'm not sure how much of a point to make of his Year 5 optional SATS results at appeal. Clearly, he can't go further than a Level 5 in year 6, because of how the system works, so whilst I am happy to make the point about his Year 6 predictions, (backed by teachers' letters) should I highlight the Year 5 results, or are they not taken particularly seriously because they are 'optional'? His Year 5 results are all in the appeal papers anyway, because we have included his Year 5 reports which have these results recorded.

Any insight/thoughts would be much appreciated!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's national data -

http://www.qca.org.uk/qca_8792.aspx

Percentages are fairly static - could be used in appeal as it is QCA data.