my daughter achieved a lvl 5 in yr 4 what does this mean

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

liesauk

my daughter achieved a lvl 5 in yr 4 what does this mean

Post by liesauk »

I am sorry if this is posted in the wrong place :shock:

My daughter is in year 4 at the moment, she has just finished some tests and has been given a level 5(no a,b or c so I dont know that bit) in english and a level 4a in math. could someone please explain what this means.

do you think I should consider her to go to grammar school?

we live in sutton coldfield I know that there is a girls school here. But I pressume you have to be pretty smart to get in. I dont want to get her hopes up and I understand that the tests they sit are a little bit different to the SATS?

Is there anything I should be doing?

thanks for your help

liesa
x
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

These are very good for Year 4 -

http://www.qca.org.uk/qca_8740.aspx

Here you can see the national picture of results - yes a GS should be the aim with these levels ...
happymum

Post by happymum »

My DS also received level 5's in year 4 and has just passed the 11+ - so yes I would definitely say she was grammar school material. :)
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Liesa

You should certainly look around at a number grammar school, not just Sutton Coldfield Girls Grammar but the KE Grammars as well. There are excellent bus and train services from Sutton Coldfield - KE Handsworth Girls Grammar is very popular for Girls living in Sutton.

Make sure you visit all of the school during open days - most of these are held around Sept I would take the opportunity to visit when your daughter gets to year-5, not just in year-6.

If she is performing well in year-4 then you should certainly consider entering her for the various 11+ exams - you don't have to be a genius to attend a grammar school!

However don't believe the schools and the LEAs when they say not to prepare or practice for the exams - take a look a the Birmingham forum on this site for guideance. Check some fo the previosuy postings.

Most importantly, use your Preference Choices wisely on the LEA form.

Regards
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

These are excellent grades.

I would ask the school if these grades are representative of her work in general and not just a one-off. Also, is she old for her year group?
Assuming that your daughter is working consistently at these levels, I would start to think about grammar school.

Please don't be fobbed off by people telling you not to practise for grammar school entry. If the entrance exams consist of VR and NVR, schools don't teach these, so you will need to practice so that your daughter has an equal chance against all the other children sitting the tests. I know many high level 5 children here who did not pass the tests due to them not being familiar with what was expected in a VR or NVR test.
shuff

Post by shuff »

I may be mistaken, but I didn't think it was possible to get a level 5 in year 4, top mark in all subjects is a 4A
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Perhaps the school gave her a Y5 paper?
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

Would tend to agree.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

On the link I posted you can find the level thresholds - it was either a Y5 paper or a teacher assessed level 5.
liesauk

Post by liesauk »

She passed the level 4 and was given the level 5 paper by the school. Sorry it took so long to reply because I wanted to make sure that what i said was right.

Not all the kids got the opportunity to take the test just those that they felt were confident.

Apparently the teacher said to me that she is flying along in all lessons and is getting better and better as her confidence is boosted. So as long as she gets a good supportive teacher next year they feel that the sky is the limit!

liesa