Spelling Now A Major Concern

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi

The following site provides advice and free worksheets.

http://www.spelling.hemscott.net/

Regards

Mike
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Scathouse, one of the reasons teachers don't always correct spellings is because it detracts from what is a good piece of work. In the past many brilliant writers would have been made to feel worthless because the focus was on spelling to the deteriment of creativity. Also in subjects other than English the focus should be on the subject being taught surely.

It is important but needs to be kept in perspective. Mind you in your childs case I would have probably given the correct spelling :)
fillup

Post by fillup »

My daughter was quite frustrated last year about her spelling because she was continually nagged at school about it.
An example was a piece of maths work which was totally correct but a comment saying it would have been a target stamp piece of work except for spelling errors!
Her current teacher lets her know if incorrect but doesn't mark her down in non spelling subjects...I totally agree with this. If not it would mean a bad speller will get lower marks in everything. Heaven help the dyslexics otherwise (note she does not have dyslexia).
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Just spotted this thread.
Katel has taken the words out of my mouth - research has shown that spelling tests do not actually improve a child's spelling. They may get them right in the test, but they do not then use them correctly in their writing.
Tolstoy has also hit the nail on the head by saying that teachers need to have a focus when they are marking work. It is now seen as demoralising to a child to correct every single mistake that they make. I am unsure whether I agree with this - it did me no harm - but this is what we as teachers are advised.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I completely understand all the arguments for encouraging creativity and ignoring the spellings, however where possible I do think spelling should have more of a priority within the curriculum. Whether its is right or wrong, people are judged on their spelling ability and employers frown on employees who cannot spell.

In Scotland you can now submit text language in your GCSE English equivalent exams - what a joke! :evil: You can praise content but at the same time encourage them to understand their mistakes. We are beginning to mollycoddle our childrens in all aspects of their life and they need to experience failure and disappointment at times in order for them to develop into successful adults.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now