Science

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
LuluQueen

Science

Post by LuluQueen »

Hi all,

DD did a Science practice paper at school and was arguing about one of the questions :roll:
How do I explain the answer to her?
The question is:
In what condition does a flower grow best in?

A - Full sunlight
B - Part sunlight
C - Full shade

Actual answer is A but DD says B. Her argument is that if the flower was in full sunlight, it would dry up and shrivel.

Help?

Advice appreciated, LQ
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

A plant will shrivel up and die in full sunlight only if it does not have enough moisture in the soil or leaves. Why not explain how the grass on the lawn slows its growth from around November to February, barely needing cut, and in the summer it grows so fast that its a nightmare to keep on top of it. Winter months offer partial sunlight and summer is full sunlight.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

excellent answer from Tipsy, but the gardener in me says ..depends on the species of plant
LuluQueen

Post by LuluQueen »

Thank you T.i.p.s.y for the interpretation, DD is stil slightly apprehensive but better off!

LQ :D
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

yoyo123 wrote:excellent answer from Tipsy, but the gardener in me says ..depends on the species of plant
:lol:
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

I like Tipsy's answer, but I think there's another very important point that your DD has probably only just come across - the fact that for many bright children passing exams is as much about knowing what the examiner is looking for as knowing the correct answer!
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Warks mum - how very true! At my sons' all-boys school they regularly ask for English papers to be remarked at KS3 level and GCSE level (although thankfully of course they can now mark their own KS3 tests). Apparently good answers are sometimes marked down because they are not one of the standard answers the examiner is looking for. Remarking quite often bumps up the boys' grades.
moose

Post by moose »

Daft question. How can you give the right answer to that?
isamum

Post by isamum »

A very badly put question as we have plants which would thrive in each of three conditions.
jah

Post by jah »

With respect to grass cutting, our contractors have had to reduce the number of summer cuts and increase the number of spring and autumn cuts on our highway grass. Effects of global warming!