Do they HAVE to sit the sats in May??!

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Daisy,
I do agree that they seem to focus far too much on these tests in year 6. Our school is doing a whole week next week of practice sats, I suppose to prepare them for the actual week in May.
But perhaps it's not a bad preparation for the secondary school system where they get end of year exams every year, in which case there is a benefit to the child.
Much as we may want to, we can't keep them as babies forever. :lol:

Rgds
LFH
daisy

Post by daisy »

LFH,

Absolutely, it's much better to be tested little and often! It's not so much pressure on the pupils I'd imagine and those that don't like exams have plenty to do before the big, serious ones!

Ahhh I don't think I can even remember what a baby looks like!! My DS was snatched out of childhood and into an adults world when he was less than 2 when he was diagnosed with a brain tumour. I think if I felt that the SATs benefitted him beyond exam practice then I wouldn't be wondering about the possibilities of him not sitting them. He sat the 11 plus and wasn't nervous at all, not an ounce, and considering his medical history and memory problems he did bloomin well!! :lol: I just wonder if a few days 'living' isn't a better idea than being stuck pen to paper!! :lol: A little adventure before 'big school'!! And before the holidays when people can't afford to go on adventures of any size haha!! :lol: :lol:

After all this contemplation I'll probably chicken out of keeping him off school anyway! :lol: :D :?
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Dear Daisy,
My goodness, what a lot you've had to go through.
I am so sorry -of course sats are the last thing you sould be thinking about.
I wish you all the luck in the world, its a sobering thought for the rest of us who have healthy children , we really shouldn't get so worked up about things which in the long run don't really matter as much as we think they do.
Again, my apologies, I should have taken the time to read all your posts :oops:
Good luck with everything.
LFH
daisy

Post by daisy »

Dear LFH

Ha ha, there's a few lengthy posts from me so don't worry!! The one would take an hour at least!! :lol:

Ooh was just reaching into the bag of M & M's and made the mistake of looking at the tv during lazer eye surgery... put the bag back down for now!! :?