Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

RedMaple

Re: Advice for oversubscription appeal

Post by RedMaple »

Thanks Etienne!
RedMaple

Post by RedMaple »

I have a quick query about letters of support.

I have letters from both my DS's Y6 Class Teacher and his Maths teacher (who is also Assistant Headteacher and has put that in her letter). I don't have a letter from the Head - he is new to the School this academic year and doesn't know my DS. Class Teacher has said that when appeal requests come in, they are passed to the Y6 teacher to write anyway.

Is this likely to be acceptable to the Appeals Panel or will it undermine credibility? Should I explain in the covering letter or wait until the presentation?

Many thanks in advance for your help.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

'Being new to the school, the HT felt that it would be a good idea for the supporting letters to be written by members of staff who had known your DS for some time'? I wouldn't think that this would be a problem, personally. As long as the support is academic ability stuff, not 'what a lovely boy, asset to any school lucky enough to get him', sort of thing.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Is this likely to be acceptable to the Appeals Panel or will it undermine credibility?
It should be fine.
Should I explain in the covering letter or wait until the presentation?
It's only worth a very brief mention - leave it until the hearing.

As ToadMum says, what matters is the content. Many schools don't realise what is required, and make the mistake of focusing on character, behaviour, and attitude.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
RedMaple

Post by RedMaple »

Thank you both Etienne and ToadMum - that's a bit of relief.

The letters have a bit of character reference but mainly confirm CAT scores; mock SATs scores, working at greater depth, won a Maths prize and confirm other stuff that helps with the oversubscription angle and reasons for wanting school that I would otherwise find hard to evidence.