Blank test paper?!?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
anotherdad

Re: Blank test paper?!?

Post by anotherdad »

The school stated that he wrote his name on each of the two papers, didn't they? And they wrote that in an email? I don't believe they would lie in writing over something so important so they must be certain that they have two answer papers with his name on them that are otherwise blank. There's no reason to believe your son is lying either so taking both sides at face value there is only one course of events I can envisage: He somehow answered on a different sheet to that with his name on and the named sheet has been submitted and the other not attributed to him or disposed of.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

I'm so sorry, this sounds horrible for you to have to deal with.

Hopefully it is something that can be resolved for you and your DS.
Hoxtonbabe

Post by Hoxtonbabe »

The thing is the paper/answer sheet is already pre-printed with his name on it so could easily reprint and say he didn’t do It, one of the first things I asked was did he actually write his name on the paper as then I would be 100% sure he did at least have the paper but as he didn’t actually put his name on it personally I’m not sure what to think. He too said they must have somehow got his mixed up with someone else’s or mislaid his, but I can’t see how.. this whole thing is the most bizarre thing to happen to us so far this year.

I would have probably just said oh well these things happen if he hadn’t done 3 other exams at other schools all with multiple tests such as math, English, VR, NVR, etc without a hitch yet suddenly he goes into this exam and does only 1 out of 3 papers and left the other two that just happen to be the two that are externally marked, totally blank.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

I see. It is puzzling. Have the school said anything else yet?

It does seem as if they've lost the sheets he answered on, whether they were the correct ones or not. Were the two tests separate? Were the two tests sat consecutively? Were the papers taken in after the first test? It would be implausible that they lost two papers in exactly the same way if they were collected separately.

Don't give any personal details away on here, but does he have a name that is popular, e.g. John Smith? Any chance his name's been confused with someone else's? As you might guess, I'm scratching my head on this one. It's got me intrigued as to what's gone wrong, I'm just sorry you're on the receiving end of it.
Hoxtonbabe

Post by Hoxtonbabe »

If your puzzled on it, think of what I’m going through, lol

His name isn’t particularly common, I’d be very surprised if there were two of him so to speak.

He said after each test paper they took the paper so after the 45 mins of VR was up they took the paper and then handed out the Math, then they had a 15 minute break then they went on to the English which was the last test.

It’s only the papers that were sent off to be marked that he’s allegedly left totally blank which is why I’m wondering if it’s gone missing at the assessment centre rather than the school losing it.

It’s also implausible to me that he would do an English paper that he would be less confident with and leave the maths when he knows he would probably ace that, a child that is in an advanced math group at school working at Y7/8 level from mid year 5 would not tackle the math paper ( which was the first paper given out) I know he would do it as he loves numbers ( unlike me) so that means I have to believe he would have sat there for 45 minutes just staring at the math paper, straight after that just sat there blankly staring at his VR paper and then finally get to his dreaded English and think ok let me do this one.. it simply doesn’t add up nor sound like my son.

I will see what they come back with tomorrow but someone has cocked up somewhere along the lines
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

I just can't believe they lost two papers, both taken in separately and both of which happen to belong to your son. It's just not plausible.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Is it possible that two answer sheets were printed with your son's name on and the blank ones were sent to be marked by mistake?

The other options would seem to be that he didn't complete the answers on the correct sheets (I know he says he did it properly) or there has been a glitch in reconciling his papers with his candidate number, or the papers did indeed go astray.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

There was another poster on here this year whose child's papers went missing for Latymer School (but were then found). I only know two North London grammars (QE or Latymer) but if it's Latymer then there is some previous evidence of errors this year.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

When did everyone else get there results?
Even if you get a low score all results come out together ( unless there is a second part to sit occasionally schools send results at different times).
It doesn’t make any sense that you haven’t got a score even if it was really low.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

What happened? What did the school say?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now