Oversubscription appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Re: Weight of evidence vs hearing

Post by Etienne »

saida81 wrote:Hi,
Don't know if anyone can help but was wondering generally what holds more weight-the evidence submitted before the appeal or how it goes on the day?
What holds weight is whatever convinces the panel. This might be the evidence submitted in advance, or it might be persuasive answers at the hearing - or both!
Obviously there is a lot of pressure on the day and what if we mess up on the day!
If by "mess up" you mean being nervous, flustered, inarticulate, I don't think anyone will mind.
Have you read the Q&As?
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course, if your case doesn't stand up to scrutiny at the hearing because the arguments are found to be exaggerated or untrue, that's another matter.

I have merged your three topics. Please keep to a single thread on Appeals - it helps us to have all your questions in one place.
Etienne
saida81

Re: Oversubscription appeal

Post by saida81 »

Great thanks.
If we had submitted a special circumstances form before the exam will the panel already know about that or will we have to mention it again and add copy to the information we submit?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If we had submitted a special circumstances form before the exam will the panel already know about that or will we have to mention it again and add copy to the information we submit?
The panel will only know what is in the appeal paperwork sent to them a week or so before hearings begin.
You will receive exactly the same papers at the same time, so you will be able to see what is there.

The appeal paperwork will include everything you have submitted, plus everything submitted by the admission authority.

Normally I would expect the admission authority to have included a copy of the special circumstances form.

To make absolutely sure that the information is available, you could submit a copy yourself.
This would probably mean that the special circumstances form is duplicated in the appeal paperwork, but I wouldn't worry about that.
Etienne
saida81

Appeals paperwork

Post by saida81 »

Hi,
I've got a few questions about what happens to the paperwork/evidence we submit?

1.Do the school/admissions manager see it before the appeal date?
2. When the school are preparing their case do they just prepare one generic case for everyone or will they respond to specific things that have been raised in the evidence submitted?
3. What interactions does the school have with the appeals panel?
Thanks!
mad?

Post by mad? »

I have merged your topics. Please keep to a single thread on Appeals - it helps us to have all your questions in one place.
mad?
Etienne

Re: Appeals paperwork

Post by Etienne »

saida81 wrote:I've got a few questions about what happens to the paperwork/evidence we submit?
1.Do the school/admissions manager see it before the appeal date?
The clerk is required to distribute the appeal papers to all the parties "a reasonable time before the date of the hearing". This is usually taken to mean a week or so before the hearings begin. In my view the school/admissions manager should not be allowed to study the parental case before that date, although the Appeals Code doesn't specifically rule this out.
However, the Code does refer to "natural justice", and I would have thought it contrary to natural justice if the admission authority is allowed to have access to the parental case in advance of the normal distribution date, but a similar opportunity is not offered to the appellants.
2. When the school are preparing their case do they just prepare one generic case for everyone or will they respond to specific things that have been raised in the evidence submitted?
The school case is usually generic - but there have been occasional reports of the school taking this opportunity to refute some of the appellants' arguments (suggesting that they may indeed have had prior sight of the parental case).
However, if these arguments pre-date the appeal process, and refer back to earlier correspondence between the admission authority and the parents, this might be acceptable.
3. What interactions does the school have with the appeals panel?
There should be none, apart from the hearing with the clerk in attendance and taking notes.

In 2009 the ombudsman found fault with a Slough grammar school because the school’s representative was present in the room alone with the members of the Appeal Panel before and/or after the hearing, although I think it was accepted that she did not seek to interfere with the appeal process. If I remember correctly, the hearing took place at the school, and the headteacher was checking that the panel had enough coffee - but the ombudsman viewed this as a serious breach of the Code.
Etienne
saida81

AGSB paperwork

Post by saida81 »

Hi,
Anyone received appeal paperwork for AGSB yet? Website said appeals to be held 7th-11th June so should be expecting it anytime soon. Have other schools received it by paper or email?
Xavier2020

Re: AGSB paperwork

Post by Xavier2020 »

No we’ve not heard anything either. I actually just emailed them this evening, to enquire.
saida81

Post by saida81 »

Please let us know what they say. They are cutting it pretty find for anyone who has theirs on the 7th June aren't they? Is it likely to be delay from school or will clerk be sorting this bit out?
Xavier2020

Post by Xavier2020 »

Email this morning states that all info has gone to the Trafford Appeals Service and we will be contacted shortly. Let me know if you hear anything!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now