Trafford - examples of questions asked by the panel @ appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mbrenno84

Trafford - examples of questions asked by the panel @ appeal

Post by Mbrenno84 »

I see the Q&A but I’m looking for examples of the actual questions asked at appeals hearings.
hermanmunster

Re: Trafford - examples of questions asked by the panel @ ap

Post by hermanmunster »

We have a long running thread https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... =35&t=9205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; looking at feedback from people after appeals - there may be some comments about questions asked in there, bear in mind however that this is all over the country and many are several years old
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Mbrenno84 wrote:I see the Q&A .....
For members who haven't, questions are discussed in general terms here:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... ication#b7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Actual questions are likely to be case specific rather than panel specific.
For example, if you are appealing for an oversubscribed school, you should have submitted your reasons for wanting/needing a place at that school (in order to counteract the prejudice).
It seems probable that the important questions will be about your reasons for wanting a place - irrespective of who is on the panel.
Etienne
Mbrenno84

Post by Mbrenno84 »

I’ve been reading on this forum about the stage 2 presentation where I deliver my case. There has been talk of PowerPoint presentations! I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be delivering at this point, I don’t just want to read out my appeal letter, and I’m not sure how it’s different to my summary at the end. Any guidance?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Mbrenno84 wrote:I’ve been reading on this forum about the stage 2 presentation where I deliver my case. There has been talk of PowerPoint presentations!
Completely unnecessary, in my view.
I'd be very surprised if the panel welcomed the prospect of a powerpoint presentation! :?
What matters is not a slick presentation, but the evidence (a point made time and time again in the Q&As).
I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be delivering at this point, I don’t just want to read out my appeal letter, and I’m not sure how it’s different to my summary at the end. Any guidance?
I think the summing up at the end should be very brief - a minute or two.
The oral presentation could be a bit more detailed than the summing up - but not as long as reading out your appeal statement.
Remind the panel of all the important points, perhaps drawing attention to key parts of the evidence.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Mbrenno84

Post by Mbrenno84 »

Thank you. I’ve got it now. I’ve started to post it and gather my thoughts!

I’m sure I’ll be back in touch for pointers.
Mbrenno84

Post by Mbrenno84 »

I've been looking through this information, and have done some preparation. There are a few answers I've not managed to find guidance on, and am reaching out to see if you can help.

(1) What is wrong with the school you've been allocated. I know this can be specific, there's nothing wrong with it as such, but what is the right answer here. I don't think "it's not as good as the grammar school she passed for but didn't get into", is the right answer
(2) What is your child's least / most favourite subject
(3) Have you appealed anywhere else? The answer is yes, but it seems to show this school is not the ultimate choice for us.
(4) Why didn't you put the school as your first preference? Honestly, the other grammar schools were better, but I'm still going to try and get in on appeal. What's the nice way of saying that?
(5) Did your child have any tutoring?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

few thoughts but Etienne may have some better comments
Mbrenno84 wrote:I've been looking through this information, and have done some preparation. There are a few answers I've not managed to find guidance on, and am reaching out to see if you can help.

(1) What is wrong with the school you've been allocated. I know this can be specific, there's nothing wrong with it as such, but what is the right answer here. I don't think "it's not as good as the grammar school she passed for but didn't get into", is the right answer
hopefully they wouldn't ask this as you appealing FOR a school, not against the other one. Diplomatic way to answer it would be to say that you are appealing for a school that would suit your child much better
(2) What is your child's least / most favourite subject
just be honest, it is probably a filler question -
(3) Have you appealed anywhere else? The answer is yes, but it seems to show this school is not the ultimate choice for us.
again shouldn't really ask this - occasionally you can come across the same people on a panel but they shouldn't let that affect there judgement see https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... school#c23" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(4) Why didn't you put the school as your first preference? Honestly, the other grammar schools were better, but I'm still going to try and get in on appeal. What's the nice way of saying that?
It was very hard to decide between the schools at the time, I think either school would suit DC & she would have been quite happy with either of the schools
(5) Did your child have any tutoring?
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b46" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mbrenno84

Received School's case. Some questions about stage 1

Post by Mbrenno84 »

(sorry originally started a new post for this - didn't mean to)

Re: Stage 1, this is where the school presents it's case. Do you need to ask questions here? Or can you just listen? Am I being "judged" at this stage?

The school's case is split into a few parts.

(1) It's over it's PAN, already accepted children beyond it's PAN because the LA told them to, and will have to accept more because of their Fair Policy Protocol. I'm finding it hard to challenge this. There does seem to be an inconsistency between the government website's SEN numbers (lower than average) and the ones presented in the school's case (higher than average)

(2) Financial pressures mean it has to reduce staffing. Can I ask about the plan to do this, if they have considered other temporary sources of teaching?

(3) Building is old and no money to renovate it. How to challenge this? Ask how they have considered it already, and if there is any scope in their accounts to allow for it to be renovated? Application for funding?

(4) Unable to meet it's curriculum requirements for funding - basically it seems to be all about money.

Any help or pointers would be helpful.
Etienne

Re: Received School's case. Some questions about stage 1

Post by Etienne »

Mbrenno84 wrote:Re: Stage 1, this is where the school presents it's case. Do you need to ask questions here?
You don't need to, but if you want to ask questions about the school case, this is your opportunity to do so.
Or can you just listen?
Yes.
Am I being "judged" at this stage?
No.
(1) It's over it's PAN, already accepted children beyond it's PAN because the LA told them to .... I'm finding it hard to challenge this.
Has the situation been similar in previous years? If so, what hard evidence has there been of prejudice (e.g. worse exam results)?
and will have to accept more because of their Fair Policy Protocol
What sort of numbers, I wonder. One? Two?
The FAP was meant to ensure that the number of vulnerable/hard to place children is distributed fairly among schools, so that no one school is over-burdened.
There does seem to be an inconsistency between the government website's SEN numbers (lower than average) and the ones presented in the school's case (higher than average)
You could point to the discrepancy, and ask for clarification.
(2) Financial pressures mean it has to reduce staffing. Can I ask about the plan to do this, if they have considered other temporary sources of teaching?
Yes, if you wish, but I doubt this will lead to anything that dents their case for prejudice. Schools in general are operating with tight budgets.
(3) Building is old and no money to renovate it. How to challenge this? Ask how they have considered it already, and if there is any scope in their accounts to allow for it to be renovated? Application for funding?
I imagine they will already have considered every possibility, and that the answer will simply be "No, there is no scope in their accounts."

I wouldn't worry too much about stage one.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... -school#c1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best to focus on your own case at stage two.

It helps us to have all your questions in one place, so please keep to this single thread in Appeals.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now