Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:36 am 

I am concerning that the panel may consider my daughter as a burden on school’s pastoral care resource hence refuse a place. Will it be still worthy to focus it as the reason of wanting the school?

Background information sent. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:33 am 

Presumably you have contacted the SENCo at the school for which you are appealing, and this dialogue has added strength to your reasons for stating that the school is the 'best fit'for your DD?

If the SENCo has confirmed that the school is well able to support your DD's needs with respect to pastoral care (preferably in writing, so that you have something to show the IAP), then the simple fact that she has the needs won't prejudice your case.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:43 am 

Nichrys wrote:
I am concerning that the panel may consider my daughter as a burden on school’s pastoral care resource hence refuse a place. Will it be still worthy to focus it as the reason of wanting the school?
If the quality of the pastoral care on offer is one of your reasons, yes.

Prejudice is decided at stage one (the school case). The issue for the panel is not whether your particular child would cause prejudice. Your case is not going to be discussed until stage two. The issue at stage one is whether an extra child would cause prejudice.

The High Court decided in a case in 2010 (R (on the application of M) v Haringey Independent Appeal Panel [2010] EWCA Civ 1103) that "the characteristics and circumstances of the particular child" weren't relevant to the question of whether the admission would cause prejudice.