Appeal advice appreciated

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Nichrys

Re: Appeal advice appreciated

Post by Nichrys »

I am concerning that the panel may consider my daughter as a burden on school’s pastoral care resource hence refuse a place. Will it be still worthy to focus it as the reason of wanting the school?

Background information sent. Thanks
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Presumably you have contacted the SENCo at the school for which you are appealing, and this dialogue has added strength to your reasons for stating that the school is the 'best fit'for your DD?

If the SENCo has confirmed that the school is well able to support your DD's needs with respect to pastoral care (preferably in writing, so that you have something to show the IAP), then the simple fact that she has the needs won't prejudice your case.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Nichrys wrote:I am concerning that the panel may consider my daughter as a burden on school’s pastoral care resource hence refuse a place. Will it be still worthy to focus it as the reason of wanting the school?
If the quality of the pastoral care on offer is one of your reasons, yes.

Prejudice is decided at stage one (the school case). The issue for the panel is not whether your particular child would cause prejudice. Your case is not going to be discussed until stage two. The issue at stage one is whether an extra child would cause prejudice.

The High Court decided in a case in 2010 (R (on the application of M) v Haringey Independent Appeal Panel [2010] EWCA Civ 1103) that "the characteristics and circumstances of the particular child" weren't relevant to the question of whether the admission would cause prejudice.
Etienne