Advice - Priority 2 Application - Medical & Social Criteria

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

exam2019

Advice - Priority 2 Application - Medical & Social Criteria

Post by exam2019 »

Hi

This is not an appeal question, but I'm assuming all of you knowledgeable people will be able to help.

I'm trying to put together a school application for DD for this October.
I think it is very unlikely that she will pass her 11+ for a London superselective grammar so I'm looking at a back up plan.

This involves applying to a local girls school - for which we are just out of catchment.
So I would like to try to move us up the priority list by applying under our LA's Medical & Social Criteria.

Amongst other thing the guidance says that we need to demonstrate that the chosed school is "the only school that can meet the child's needs".

Our application will be on a whole family basis because our other DC is on an EHCP and at high risk of failed placement - we just need our second child in a school where she will be safe and happy. DD has SEN and I can link her needs to specific things that our target school offers.

We have all the necessary reports and diagnoses etc but I'm probably not going to get any professional who is prepared to name the school in writing so it is down to me to write something convincing in the cover letter.

It is this "only school" phrase that is troubling me.
Any advice on how I might demonstrate this? Or key phrases I should use?

Thanks
Etienne

Re: Advice - Priority 2 Application - Medical & Social Crite

Post by Etienne »

exam2019 wrote: It is this "only school" phrase that is troubling me.
Any advice on how I might demonstrate this? Or key phrases I should use?
Thanks
You are quite right to home in on the words "only school". Admission authorities usually apply this criterion very strictly.
I wish I could suggest a form of words to help, but I'm afraid I can't. :(
I can't immediately see any easy alternative to providing proof from an appropriate professional of why this is 'the only school'.
Etienne
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

Thanks @Etienne!
icantthinkofagoodone

Post by icantthinkofagoodone »

Don't forget to apply for extra time or other help she might need in the 11+ exam.

If she currently gets help in school like sitting in a separate room or having more time, or having a scribe, then she would be eligible to have this during the exam as well.

Good luck!
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

Thanks @icantthinkofagoodone!

We have applied but we have a private EP report so don't qualify for assistance due to the rules for the specific 11+ we are applying for = even though she qualifies at primary...

On the other hand, her maths speed has suddenly improved hugely in the last few weeks so maybe the 11+ will not be such a lost cause after all....
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

@Etienne

Having thought about it, the phrase "the only school that can meet the child's needs" isn't entirely reasonable in the legal sense.
It doesn't matter if there is a better school for her needs in the back of beyond...

So if I think of this as is "the only [local] school that can meet the child's needs" then this actually opens up some options in relation to her SEN as they have some equipment and ways of working which are novel locally and which would be a good fit for her needs....

I just need to find a good, convincing way to frame this?!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

exam2019 wrote:Having thought about it, the phrase "the only school that can meet the child's needs" isn't entirely reasonable in the legal sense.
It doesn't matter if there is a better school for her needs in the back of beyond...
So if I think of this as is "the only [local] school that can meet the child's needs" then this actually opens up some options in relation to her SEN as they have some equipment and ways of working which are novel locally and which would be a good fit for her needs....
I'm rather doubtful. I don't think the criterion can be reinterpreted to mean "which school would be the best fit for her social/medical needs?"

For the purpose of admissions, we know that the criterion is going to be applied strictly:
    • Amongst other thing the guidance says that we need to demonstrate that the chosen school is "the only school that can meet the child's needs".
Appeals would be another matter because they are not limited to the admission rules. The parental case at an appeal is often based on the argument that "school X would be the best fit for the child".
I think of this as is "the only [local] school
I don't see a problem with this if by "local" you have in mind schools within the local authority.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now