Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: One Point
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:10 am
Posts: 5
Hi my DD failed by 1 point to reach the pass mark. Is it worth asking for a recount? Who should I approach? Why is there no information from the school explaining what to do next if you are unhappy with the outcome?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: One Point
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:45 pm
Posts: 7794
Which school are you talking about? Some schools will allow you to have a manual re-mark, but I've rarely (if ever!) heard of a mark changing. You cannot appeal for entry to a school until you have applied & been turned down (after March 1st). Have you looked on the local authority website? Ours has information about what to do in these circumstances.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: One Point
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:26 pm
Posts: 8603
sheriphat wrote:
Hi my DD failed by 1 point to reach the pass mark. Is it worth asking for a recount? Who should I approach? Why is there no information from the school explaining what to do next if you are unhappy with the outcome?

Some general information here (mostly what has been sent to us for some areas, and not necessaily up to date for 2021):
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b55

_________________
Etienne


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: One Point
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:10 am
Posts: 5
Etienne wrote:
sheriphat wrote:
Hi my DD failed by 1 point to reach the pass mark. Is it worth asking for a recount? Who should I approach? Why is there no information from the school explaining what to do next if you are unhappy with the outcome?

Some general information here (mostly what has been sent to us for some areas, and not necessaily up to date for 2021):
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b55

Thanks for the information. If I want a review hearing do I approach the school or LA?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: One Point
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:26 pm
Posts: 8603
sheriphat wrote:
Thanks for the information. If I want a review hearing do I approach the school or LA?

We don't know whereabouts you are, but most admission authorities do not offer a review. (They are not obliged to.)
Some areas that might hold reviews are mentioned here:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b18
Reviews - where they exist - tend to be arranged via the LA.

Quote:
.... if you are unhappy with the outcome?
In most cases what would happen is that you include the grammar school on your CAF, and wait to be refused on 1st March. At that point there would be advice from the school or LA on how to take your case to an independent appeal if you are dissatisfied.

_________________
Etienne


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: One Point
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:10 am
Posts: 5
Etienne wrote:
sheriphat wrote:
Thanks for the information. If I want a review hearing do I approach the school or LA?

We don't know whereabouts you are, but most admission authorities do not offer a review. (They are not obliged to.)
Some areas that might hold reviews are mentioned here:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b18
Reviews - where they exist - tend to be arranged via the LA.

Quote:
.... if you are unhappy with the outcome?
In most cases what would happen is that you include the grammar school on your CAF, and wait to be refused on 1st March. At that point there would be advice from the school or LA on how to take your case to an independent appeal if you are dissatisfied.


Thanks for the info. I have been reading some of the information which seems to be from parents in areas where primary schools expect children to sit the 11 plus and practice with them. Therefore they have the support of the Head Teacher. We are in London and my DD's school will not comment on whether she should have passed because the LA do not administer the 11+. Is it still worth review/appealing?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: One Point
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:51 am
Posts: 10331
sheriphat wrote:
Thanks for the info. I have been reading some of the information which seems to be from parents in areas where primary schools expect children to sit the 11 plus and practice with them. Therefore they have the support of the Head Teacher. We are in London and my DD's school will not comment on whether she should have passed because the LA do not administer the 11+. Is it still worth review/appealing?


Which schools are you interested in? which exam did your child take?

Worth remembering that although headteachers may support appeals / reviews the primary schools do not practice the tests with the children.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: One Point
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:26 pm
Posts: 8603
Quote:
Is it still worth review/appealing?
To stand any chance, will you have sufficient academic evidence?
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b11
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b20

And (for an appeal) strong reasons for wanting a place at a school which is very likely to be full?
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... -school#c2

_________________
Etienne


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: One Point
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:10 am
Posts: 5
hermanmunster wrote:
sheriphat wrote:
Thanks for the info. I have been reading some of the information which seems to be from parents in areas where primary schools expect children to sit the 11 plus and practice with them. Therefore they have the support of the Head Teacher. We are in London and my DD's school will not comment on whether she should have passed because the LA do not administer the 11+. Is it still worth review/appealing?


Which schools are you interested in? which exam did your child take?

Worth remembering that although headteachers may support appeals / reviews the primary schools do not practice the tests with the children.

We took 11+ for Newstead Wood.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahcal and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2021