Non-qualification appeal and oversubscribed

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
monochromecat

Re: Non-qualification appeal and oversubscribed

Post by monochromecat »

Thank you, I think that's a really useful perspective.
monochromecat

Post by monochromecat »

Just to update the thread. Our appeal was successful and dd looking forward to her new school. Good luck to all those still waiting. I will update the list. Also while preparing I drew up a condensed list of appeal questions from the feedback pages. I will send it to the appeal box, although might be after half term. It is about 3 pages so don't want to put on thread but wondered if it can be stored somewhere.
Munster

Post by Munster »

monochromecat - congratulations wonderful news for your daughter all the best :)
JJ2016

Post by JJ2016 »

Our non-qualification and oversubscription appeal was unsuccessful - we were one question off a pass and the current admission threshold for a super selective school. However our decision letter makes no reference to the matter of non-qualification, just to the fact that we didn't meet the criteria for that particular school.

Can anyone please advise, should we not have had a specific answer to our appeal against non-qualification, because it seems we still cannot go on the waiting list, despite being so close?

Thanks.
bgh

Post by bgh »

monochromecat congratulation on your successful appeal!

I've sent you a PM with a couple of questions.
Conniemore

Post by Conniemore »

Congratulation monochrome. Our appeal was unsuccessful at the same school - our daughter had had an HTA. The HTA panel is overseen by the Head of that school, so the Head has access to the full HTA and attachments - these in our case were attached to the schools case, whereas other grammars do not. The Head teacher of the school we were appealing to, purely focused on the attachment to the HTA, which was a report confirming dyslexia.
Our d had an excellent aggregate score 350, well above the threshold score but missed out on one subject by 4 marks. (Governor places were given out at around the 350 mark)
Our letter said that although we provided evidence of high level ability there were others who's cases were stronger. 6 girls have been successful on appeal, brining the PAN to 146.
Like JJ2016 has asked, we were not given a specific answer to our appeal against non-qualification and cannot go on the waiting list?

Can anyone help us understand why we haven't been told we can go on the waiting list?
twindad

Post by twindad »

Congratulations monochromecat……

Sorry to hear Conniemore that your appeal was unsuccessful. Anyway you gave it your best shot. I hope you have a better alternative.

It is strange that there is no specific answer is given against non-qualification, As per feed back received , appeals at TWGGS is quite strange. Headteacher of TWGGS totally dominate the appeal process , hardly making a feel that it is independent panel appeal.
Conniemore

Post by Conniemore »

You are so right twindad, The Headteacher of TWGGS did totally dominate the appeal process, from beginning to end. It certainly wasn't an 'independent appeal panel'. The headteacher acted as advisor to the panel one minute, then it was as though she were a panel member the next.
Yesterday I lodged a complaint with the local government ombudsman about the panel not being 'Independent'. I've request the contemporaneous notes and decision notes which the Clerk and Chair have refused. I've now written a formal letter to the clerk as per the section - Appeals - Ombudsman. I'm so pleased we are not the only ones that feel the Headteacher dominated the appeal process - the panel will have certainly made their decision based on which appeals the Headteacher supported during the appeal process as she was clear that 5 places were available.
salsa

Post by salsa »

monochromecat wrote:Just to update the thread. Our appeal was successful and dd looking forward to her new school. Good luck to all those still waiting. I will update the list. Also while preparing I drew up a condensed list of appeal questions from the feedback pages. I will send it to the appeal box, although might be after half term. It is about 3 pages so don't want to put on thread but wondered if it can be stored somewhere.
Congratulations. I'm very pleased for you.

For those who didn't make it, I'm sorry to hear it. However, you have done all you could for your children. No consolation, I know.

Salsa
monochromecat

Post by monochromecat »

A very late update to the thread. She did go to the school and has enjoyed her time there. She got 9s in all but two of her subjects at GCSE, has won prizes for some of them. She is doing well at A level and planning to become a medic. We believed it was the right school for her and she has worked hard to prove it. Good luck to anyone reading this who is preparing for appeals now.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now