Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Chairboyssupporter

Re: Bucks: Headteacher not supportive

Post by Chairboyssupporter »

Etienne wrote:The very best of luck.
Thank you! Submitted now.
Etienne wrote:In case you haven't seen it, there is an online form:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/ombudsman#d6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Point 25.
It may just have been me, but the link for the form seems to have changed to the following:

https://form.education.gov.uk/en/Achiev ... inPrompt=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chairboyssupporter wrote:if you would like to send a donation to a charity of your choice, it would be very much appreciated.
Donation made to the NSPCC as a small token of my appreciation for your knowledge and support. Thank you. As well as being a valuable charity, I felt their mission statement of "Every childhood is worth fighting for" resonated in this instance.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Chairboyssupporter wrote: It may just have been me .....
Not at all - keeping all the links up to date is quite a challenge! :?
.... but the link for the form seems to have changed to the following:
https://form.education.gov.uk/en/Achiev ... inPrompt=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's most helpful. I've updated the link.
Donation made to the NSPCC as a small token of my appreciation for your knowledge and support. Thank you. As well as being a valuable charity, I felt their mission statement of "Every childhood is worth fighting for" resonated in this instance.
Thank you so much. It's really kind of you.
Etienne
Chairboyssupporter

Just to close this one off.....

We received the response from the ESFA today. The conclusion was "Maladministration with no injustice". Further information was obtained by the ESFA from the panel hearing, and it transpired that the panel did agree that the SRP was not FCO, even though the panel's decision letter had said the opposite. However, it was found that no injustice had been caused as the panel had then considered whether DS would be suitable for grammar school and that the panel had voted 2/1 that this was not the case - the 2 panel members against stating that a) his progress from KS1 to date does not show suitability for grammar school and b) noting that his verbal score was very low and his predictions for reading and writing were age-related.

So whilst I am still frustrated with the conclusion, I recognise that the panel members are free to make their own judgments. And it was helpful to know that they had found the SRP not to be FCO.

I also found the ESFA's response to be detailed and informative.

Thanks again. Hopefully this thread will be of use to someone else in the future.
mad?

Post by mad? »

I'm sorry the outcome of this is not what might have been hoped - but glad that the investigation appears to have been thorough and that you finally have clarity around the decision making process - a moral victory if nothing else in maladministration having been found. I'm sure that the information you have provided here will be of future use to someone and thank you for providing all the information. It would be wonderful if you could stay around to help future DC in a similar situation but I fully understand you feel this whole thing is something you want put behind you now. Thank you for sharing all this with the forum and good luck with the next stage of DC's schooling - onwards and upwards!
mad?
Chairboyssupporter

Thanks for your kind message Mad.

Yes, I will stay around - not least because I have a 2nd child who will probably take the 11+ in a few years time! Hoping for that one to be a clear "above" or "below" the STTR result next time, to avoid the possibility of any SRP or panel reviews!

This is a great forum, and I have found the comments, both on this particular thread and wider, extremely useful.
Chairboyssupporter

Just to add to this post from last year – DS sat the 12+ and again just missed the automatic qualifying mark (118 instead of 121), although it’s likely he would have been put on a waiting list, rather than directly being offered a place at our chosen grammar school.

Through that process, I do have the option of an appeal on the back of this test, which I hadn’t realised would be possible, so I think I will try again!

I have mitigating circumstances for the 12+ mark – I now have a professional assessment that DS has a learning disability and recommends extra time for exams. However, the Council would not allow me to submit this a “request for adaptations” and said that the Head of DS’ new school had to submit a form – even though he had been at his new school for just 4 weeks. (Is the Council allowed to introduce that barrier?) Despite emails and phone calls to the school, I couldn’t get them to respond to my request (appreciate there is a lot to do at the start of a term for a large secondary school). DS has also not had any additional support in his current secondary school – my experience is that the SENCO department is set-up to support those underachieving against the average profile, not to help individuals who otherwise seem to be coping ok (but not achieving their potential).

I also have extra evidence – CAT results from the secondary school predict potential GCSE grades across subjects of 7s and 8s (I understand 7-9 is equivalent to “old-style” A grades). English was his lowest score at 6 (equivalent to B).

Any thoughts very welcome!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome back!

the Council would not allow me to submit this a “request for adaptations” and said that the Head of DS’ new school had to submit a form
I can see this could be a problem with a recent diagnosis and the busy start at a new school.

Is the Council allowed to introduce that barrier?
The case would probably look stronger to the Special Access Panel if adjustments are already in place at school, but I would have thought they ought to consider such evidence as you were able to present, and your particular circumstances (recent diagnosis, new school).
It's a point you could discuss with the appeal panel.

Academic evidence
One of the difficulties with late selection appeals, it seems to me, is getting sufficient evidence of grammar school ability.
Some non-selective secondary schools (in Bucks and out of county) appear unwilling to provide specific support for a grammar school appeal.
If the appeal is heard before Y7 summer term reports are issued (which is probable), parents may have nothing more than a brief initial report from earlier in the year.

I note that you have some good CAT scores to report.

Be prepared to address questions such as:
  • Were the KS2 outcomes as the primary school predicted?
  • How has he settled in at the new school?
    ('Not being stretched' and your observation about SEN being focused on those 'underachieving against the average profile' could be relevant here.)
  • Why this grammar school?
Etienne
Chairboyssupporter

HI Again,

Just to let you know that my latest Appeal has again been unsuccessful. And that was despite Mensa results putting DS in the 96th percentile for Cattell B and 84th percentile for Culture Fair. :(
After the Appeal, I did become aware that for the Bucks 11+ test, it is possible for parents to submit evidence directly for Reasonable Adjustments, as well as through the headteacher. This was certainly not the case for the 12+ test and requests could only be submitted through the headteacher (which you may recall I did not have). Can I complain to the EFSA about this inconsistency? Ideally to request a fresh appeal, but at least to ensure the option is available to me/other parents in future years? The evidence is submitted to a Special Access panel for consideration, so I do appreciate that submission of evidence does not necessarily guarantee that adjustments would be made.
The panel seemed to suggest that as DS is currently not on the SEN register at his school, and does not currently receive adjustments, then adjustments may not have been given anyway. But I did try to explain that the school is not set up to cater for intelligent children with learning disabilities (as they can "cope" in the classroom), and that the school doesn't have standard year end "exams", and so adjustments would not be considered until Yr 9 when an external assessor meets relevant children (I was told that DS would be one of those put forward). I have now contacted DS' current school to ask if he can be put on the SEN register to either support the 13+ exam, or when it comes to Y9 assessments for GCSE.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Can I complain to the EFSA about this inconsistency?
"Inconsistency" doesn't appear in the Codes. It's a long shot, but there might possibly be a slightly different argument here, I'm not sure. I think I would need to see the exact wording of the decision letter via email - let me know if you would like me to do this.

I do sympathise with you. You & son have been so close, and so unlucky.
  • A very borderline score of 119.75 at 11+
    A finding of maladministration (but 'no injustice')
    Another borderline score, 118 at 12+
    Not able to submit evidence to the Special Access Panel
I have a 2nd child who will probably take the 11+ in a few years time! Hoping for that one to be a clear "above" or "below" the STTR result next time, to avoid the possibility of any SRP or panel reviews!
:)
Etienne
Chairboyssupporter

I think I would need to see the exact wording of the decision letter via email - let me know if you would like me to do this.
That would be very kind - thank you. Please let me know how to send this to you - I think I can see how to send you a private message but couldn't obviously see how to add an attachment.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now