Date received

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Not much point saying the school isn't full, because you don't know how many will be deemed qualified during the appeals. Best to focus on your own case.

From the Q&As, C2:
At Stage 2 the panel will want to hear your reasons for the school in question, and why no other school would really do. Reasons will probably include one or more of the following:

* It’s the catchment school.
* Although not in catchment you live very close to the school.
* Getting to any suitable alternative school would be logistically difficult (you would have to prove this, and I think the degree of inconvenience would have to be very considerable indeed).
* There is a sibling already there.
* Other family members are attending or have attended the school (perhaps not a strong point but worth a mention).
* There are strong educational reasons (I don’t mean a preference for a type of school such as a grammar school – I mean something specific on offer at this particular school which is not available at any suitable alternative. You would need to prove why this is so crucial).
* There are strong medical or social reasons why your child needs to attend this particular school. These are often the most compelling reasons, but you will need proof, and you will need to demonstrate convincingly why only this school is the solution.
Etienne
tillytonk

Post by tillytonk »

I am confused ( doesn't take a lot) and wondered if somene could clarify? Our appeal is set for next week but reading other threads I am worried. We are in Lincolnshire and am appealing against non qualification. However the school received the results before us and the headteacher put in a HT referral on my daughters behalf which was not successful, hence our appeal. Does this mean we have no chance of winning or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
Alex

Post by Alex »

Hello Tillytonk,
Being unsuccessful at the non-statutory review or "headteacher's appeal" does not mean that you cannot or will not win a statutory appeal now.
I understand that only the two Sleaford schools managed to carry out these non-statutory reviews this year because of the hurry to notify the results before neighbouring authorities' closing dates for application to secondary school.
I am told that the Consortium has decided to drop these "headteachers' appeals" as of this year but that no decision has yet been reached about whether to replace them with anything (if anyone has some more up to date information please share it!).
If this is an appeal for a Community school then the fact that a headteacher's appeal was carried out will be part of the LA's case, but the panel will still consider all the evidence you put forward about your daughter's academic ability and any reasons for not performing to her full ability in the tests.

Edited to add: Please note that this advice is specific to Lincolnshire and may not apply to similar situations in other areas of the country.
tillytonk

Post by tillytonk »

A great relief. Now I think I will just stop reading and worrying and just try and relax for a few days because I can honestly say that this is the most stressful thing I have ever done. Or rather I have allowed it to become so!
keane34

Post by keane34 »

Best wishes for your appeal next week Tillytonk. You're right - it is an unbelievably stressful experience. I hope you get a happy result. :)
sallyj

Post by sallyj »

Keeping everything crossed for you & your DD,for a very positive appeal xx Best wishes,Sallyj :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now