Help! Secondary Faith school appeal.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sp

Post by sp »

Assuming that Church attendance is one of the conditions have you got suitable answers re attendance in past? We attended a similar appeal recently and the focus was on previous attendance, other factors emphasising your faith eg involvement in activities to do with your place of worship and / or local community. Reiterate the contents of your letter from the Church; do you have a friend who could perhaps attend with you and vouch for your beliefs? Preferably someone who is a longstanding member of the Church?
If you do go alone I can assure you that the panel are friendly and sympathetic. I'm sure if they could they'd give evryone a place. Try and keep calm, state your case and just remember you have done a very brave thing to help your child. If at the end of the day you are not successful atleast you know you've done all you can.
Wishing you lots of luck
keane34

Post by keane34 »

I knew that I would be too nervous to remember what I wanted to say at our appeal so I typed out the whole thing and just read it out. I don't think the panel mind, it's more important that you say everything you want to.

Wishing you all the best for tomorrow mumtoone. Let us know how you get on.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Good luck M21 - will say one for you tomorrow! :)
Marylou
mumtoone

Post by mumtoone »

Wow! I cannot thank you enough, It has taken me all day to sort things out and what I am going to say. I have just put down a list of things.
Thanks so much Alex I will now add a few more.
I cannot ask anyone from the church really as my son does not know I have taken this to appeal. I could not bear to see him as upset as his was when he found out.So I am keeping quiet.
Fingers crossed, I will let you know how it goes :?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Very best of luck mumtoone - I'll be thinking about you, :wink:

I'm sure you will do a splendid job at the appeal.
mumtoone

Post by mumtoone »

What a nightmare, I was terrible,I do not think he will get through on appeal if they judge him by me. I just could not get the words out.
I knew what I wanted to say but just gave quick answers. :roll: Oh I hope I have not messed this up.
Anyone going I would advise to write everything out just in case your mind goes blank. I put bullet points down and then could not add much more. :oops:
lion63

Post by lion63 »

Sorry to hear that it was terrible,mumtoone.

I am sure the panel can see you are nervous and know that no one is at their best when they are frightened.

Perhaps, your bullet point answers were more than adequate as they were the important points you wanted to convey to the panel.

Don't mull over it too much; you've already done so well to go to the appeal and perhaps the facts you presented will do the talking.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Don't panic mumofone!!

I'm sure you FELT you did terribly, but I'll bet you did better than you think.

The panels are used to nervous parents and, being on your own as you were, I'm sure they will have understood.

The important thing is you got your points across.

They could well have appreciated not being put through a great long diatribe - sometimes being succinct is the best way!

Well done for being so brave, especially as you were on your own. It's daunting enough when you have the support of a loved one. You've done exceedingly well and you should be proud that you have done this for your DS.

Fingers *crossed* now for the result!!
mumtoone

Post by mumtoone »

:cry: :cry: We lost our appeal :cry: :cry: I found the process really hard. They were just asking why this school ? why should your child be given a place over another child ? They did not seem to take into account anything I said in my letter on reasons for appealing.
I think they made up their mind before the appeal :roll: I should of aske :oops: d my friend to come along to help as my mind just went blank :oops:
Now we have no school as I am not sending him to the school he has been given. So I will give up work and home school him until I find a school.
Is it too late to apply for a grammer school as I think this is his only chance as all the good state co-ed schools now have long waiting lists.

Thanks everyone who helped 8)
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Oh Mumtoone, I'm so desperately sorry.

Hopefully someone will be along soon with more than just sympathy. Keep strong.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now