have we done the right thing?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

Fingers crossed for you for a bit longer, then!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi ksb
ksb wrote:Sorry all, the appeal went really well, the panel were very supportive and summarised all our points for us. It was almost a pleasureable experience! The worrying was for nothing really. We had support from the primary school in our dd's school report, stating that she has exceeded her targets (unfortunately no support through sats levels...just words).
Anyway we just have to wait until next week. The school does not have that many appeals granted, only last year when there was a mess with the exams, and they needed a resit.
Anyway we did the best we could for our daugther and await the outcome.

thanks so much for the support and I will let you know what the panel decide. It was quite an eye opener though in how the school's admissions policy works!
Cheers
ksbxx
I admire you so much for making that post and I am so glad that you had a positive experience of the hearing. I wish that more parents could be as sensible and realistic as you are being.

I do hope very much that the panel decide in your favour, and that you don't have to crash back down to earth in a horrible puddle.

My fingers are crossed for you and your daughter.

Sally-Anne
ksb

Post by ksb »

Hello all,
Well we heard the other day that our appeal was not granted, the school's case being that the classrooms were too small, 45m sq for 32 students, and by accepting my daughter , they would be overcrowded. I did point out that 3 girls were accepted on appeal last year with out going over the allocated spaces...ie still 96. I have a sneaky suspicion that they keep some places open until after the appeals then go up to the 96 places because they never go over 96. Last year was an exception as only 3 have been in by appeal in the last 5 years, and they were all last year. (problems with the entrance exam in the previous year).

I have always wondered if this was the right school. She is the middle girl and really she needs an experience that is all her own, and she is not following in her sister's footsteps. Although she is in the completely opposite direction as the other 3 we will still be ok. I really liked the mixed comprehensive she is going to, and feel she will be more confident in an environment where she is not struggling to keep up.

Thanks so much for the advice and support and i wish everyone else going through the same thing all the love and luck in the world!
cheers
ksbxx
Anxious1

Post by Anxious1 »

ksb, so sorry to hear that your appeal was unsuccessful.

I think you are right in that as children get older, they don't necessarily need to be at the same school as their siblings. We also lost our appeal and after much debating between an Inde and Comp School, have decided my DD will start at the local comprehensive in September. Here the children are grouped according to ability so they are pushed to reach their full potential right from the start.

I hope your daughter settles well in her new school in September and makes lots of new friends.
sp

Post by sp »

ksb Good for you for sounding so positive about DD's new school. She will be fine as she will pick up your opinions for herself. Having a DS who is at boys' GS and then a DD we always knew they'd never be at the same school. So often people send all their DC to the same school when maybe they'd be better off at different schools. There would be less competition between siblings and less comparing by parents. All children are individuals and need to be treated as such; good luck to your DD, she'll do well.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now