Bexley test, missed by 1 mark

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
toy

Post by toy »

In this instance, it is totally unfair for some pupil to be represented by their HTs and others denied that opportunity. I hope to meet with the classteacher again, (who happens to be co-operative) for a way forward.
Any advice would be highly appreciated.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I think heads are right to support only those pupils they believe should have qualified, otherwise they risk losing credibility with appeals panels and their support could finish up having little value.

In this instance, where the score was so very borderline, it does beg the question 'What strong reasons does the head have for not offering support?' Have you asked? (I assume she's not going to admit to being opposed to the 11+ in principle?)

Just how much support is the classteacher willing to give without upsetting the head? Just grades? Are there any other reasoning test results available? Evidence of reading age?

I hope you've seen my evidence wish list?
As many of the following academic indicators as possible:
* Good 11+ test scores (i.e. as close to the pass mark as possible).
* A head teacher who is very supportive and credible
* Encouraging SATs predictions (e.g. three level 5s, or even better, 5a’s)
* High standardised test scores from school (the higher the better, e.g. 90th+ percentile)
* Good routine academic work, in the child’s own handwriting, that has not been specially selected (e.g. exercise books for Maths, English and Science), full of complimentary remarks by the teacher about achievement.
* Previous school reports (especially if there is reference to high achievement).
* An educational psychologist’s report. Might be useful if the other academic evidence is limited.
* A reading age 1½ – 2 years above average.
Etienne
toy

Post by toy »

Thanks Etienne, when I met with the teacher she said she'll give any support necessary, grades, examples of work and accompanied letter to indicate he is of grammer material. The only hurdle is that Bexley council have said that the review has to come through the HT.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Toy, this is a HT's review, before the system changed you wouldn't even have known about it.

You still have the option of appealing in March when you don't the grammar place. Tell the HT you will do this.

I would also play dirty. Imply you won't support the Sats - the child will be ill :wink: - if you don't get the support for your child now.
You child will not be disadvantaged at sec school by not having sats results, regardless of what the primary might tell you, but the school will.

Try to keep it friendly and use this tactic as a last resort. A close friend of mine :wink: played this game and won. Don't go down this route unless you intend to use it.

In the meantime get as much academic evidence as you can. Do try to keep it friendly if you can as it will be easier with the HT's support.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sorry, toy, I've been focusing on an appeal rather than a review. With a statutory appeal you're very much involved as the appellant, but I'm afraid that doesn't apply to a review.

I'm sure you're right that only a headteacher can initiate a headteacher review, and if she won't shift her position, your only course of action is to appeal.

It's very good news that the classteacher is being so supportive. I've known heads who won't themselves co-operate also refuse to allow their staff to get involved.
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I would also play dirty
Tracy! :oops:
And I thought you were Joan of Arc ......
Etienne
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

For anyone out there that might need a bit of help, I know a few tricks. :wink:
toy

Post by toy »

Yeah Tracy, that's one trick up my sleeve in case I might need to use it.
I really don't know whom to believe now, the school does not provide information regarding the whole selection test, so I'm left with calling Hillview and reading literatures on the bexley website.
According to Hillview, I cannot appeal if my child is not deemed selective, putting a grammer school on the caf would be a waste of place.
Class teacher said to put a grammer on the caf with a note that I'm appealing the result.
Went to the nearest Bexley grammer to ask their opinion and was told, they do have a reserved list but this would be provided by the council.
Advised by Hillview the way forward is the HT review, then he would be considered for a grammer place or placed on a reserved list if need be.
Totally confused, how does it all work?
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Toy

It says on page 19 of this year's admissions booklet:

"Parents of pupils not deemed selective may express a preference for a place at a selective school and may then use their statutory right of appeal against a decision not to offer a place at that school".

That seems to me to say that you can put a GS on your CAF even if your child was not selective and that you can then appeal when your child isn't given a place at that GS. So I don't see how putting a GS on your CAF would be a waste of time?

My understanding is that the reserve list is a list of those children who have just missed the pass mark. This means that, if there are any places left when everyone who was deemed selective and who wants a bexley grammar place has been offered one, they will take children off the reserve list. I'm afraid I don't think this happens very often.

It really makes my blood boil that the whole selection and appeals process is shrouded in such mystery.
toy

Post by toy »

Thanks Bexley mum 2, that is why I believe I need the HT review more. Does anyone have the success rate for the HT review in Bexley?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now