Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ana Maria

Appeal

Post by Ana Maria »

Hi
This is the first time I have visited this site and can't believe how much great information is on it - wish I'd known before.
I am one of the very upset parents whose child narrowly missed the magic 121. Ellie got 115 and 119.
I went to see the Head on Friday who has said he will back Ellie 100% as the school feel she should go to Grammar school. However my huband is against appealing as he says he can't go through it again as we were unsuccessful with our other daughter who scored 118 2 years ago.
I will go it alone if I have to though as I think I have to try.
The thing I am not sure about is Ellie was tutored. Is it wise to keep this quiet at appeal as surely they will say if she was tutored then why did she not pass? She was geting fanastic results in all her practice papers and the only reason she did not make the mark when it mattered was "nerves". Some kids can cope with the pressure and some can't unfortunately.
I would really appreciate any advice anyone can give me as I am going through so many emotions right now and trying not to show that to Ellie!
Thanks so much
Ana
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Ana

I can understand your husband's feelings. Going to appeal is stressful, and when the outcome is not what you were hoping for, it adds to the disappointment you've already experienced.

However, with one good score, you must try.

Mentioning a tutor won't disadvantage your appeal, but it won't help either. On balance, I'd keep quiet about it.

The problem with "nerves" is that almost everyone is going to put this forward as a reason. A panel might look at the 115, and think "Well, how is she going to cope with all the pressures of grammar school?"

What you need to do is convince the panel that the 119 is a better indicator of your daughter's ability (in which case "nerves" are less of a problem). To do that, you need strong academic evidence.

Regards
Etienne
Ana Maria

appeal

Post by Ana Maria »

Thanks for you reply Etienne.
I will go to appeal as I have to give it a go as you say. I know I will regret it if I don't.
I know what you mean about the 115 score but I intend to go to the panel and be completely honest about why I'm there.
I,and her school, feel she is capable of going to grammar school and I will just take the academic evidence to try and prove her case. Having the schools support can only help I hope.
It's an impossibly stressful time and i send all parents going through this the very Best Wishes.
Ana
Ana Maria

appeal

Post by Ana Maria »

Just a thought regarding the result of lower scoring papers , 115 in Ellie's case.
If Ellie had scored 121 it would not have mattered a jot how much she scored in the other paper . I think it's a little unfair that now her case will go to appeal this score will be of such huge importance.
If the higher of the 2 results decides whether they pass or not in the first place then the appeal surely should just be based on that highest scoring paper?

Ana
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Ana

If the higher score is the only thing that matters, then why would you be putting forward alternative academic evidence at an appeal?

I understand the ombudsman has ruled that an appeal panel is entitled to consider all the evidence available to it, including the lower score.

I wouldn't necessarily say that it is always of "huge importance", but it is there on the record, will be included in the LEA case, and the panel can attach as much weight to it as they feel appropriate.

Regards
Etienne