Bucks appeals - borderline score - Attn: Ambridge

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Louise

Rankings again

Post by Louise »

Dear Ambridge,

I wouldn't worry about a ranking of 10th - the important thing will be if those children either side qualified as it will give an idea of how accurate the Head is. In my daughter's class this year they have at last count 25 qualifying out of about 60 (more results to come)so being 10th wouldn't have been a bad thing! Our school also is reluctant to give anything other than 5 but have had one son through on review( 120 and ranked 14th) and one on appeal (116,117 and probably a similar ranking but they didn't do it that year). The appeal panel will be aware that the order of the class will mean different things at different schools.
Jed

Post by Jed »

I think the Head is right that all level 5s are more than sufficient to make a child suitable for grammar. In fact, many that pass the 11+ don't go on to achieve all level 5s.

But... appeal is different. I think it's a bit like the difference between having a child and adopting. You have to prove you're 'ultra-suitable', not just 'suitable'. (And some natural parents could be labelled as of dubious suitability, just as some who pass the 11+ initially!)

So use this analogy and press the head to be more specific if they are able.

Jed
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Hi Louise and Jed

Thanks for your comments, really appreciated.

Rankings, not sure how accurate the head was - we wished the school had looked at the mock 11+ results - sat in exam conditions at end of September - to make the rankings rather than VR results from 6 months ago, it would have helped our cause I think!!

Louise, your appeal results were fantastic!

The head's answer to anything we asked or suggested was - every year they have appeals and this was the format followed and the appeals often succeeded....

Jed - the 5's issue is something for us to resolve. I agree I would like something to stand out on the appeal paperwork!! Will wait for the completed form to come home on Friday and if we feel its not a good reflection of our son's academic prowess I'll call the school on Monday for further discussion.

Between now and appeal day I also hope to 'nobble' the form teacher and see if she will submit a paragraph in our favour.

Thanks again to you both, here's hoping we won't be too depressed on Friday evening!
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Jed wrote:I think the Head is right that all level 5s are more than sufficient to make a child suitable for grammar. In fact, many that pass the 11+ don't go on to achieve all level 5s.

But... appeal is different. I think it's a bit like the difference between having a child and adopting. You have to prove you're 'ultra-suitable', not just 'suitable'. (And some natural parents could be labelled as of dubious suitability, just as some who pass the 11+ initially!)

So use this analogy and press the head to be more specific if they are able.

Jed
I like this analogy :D
blessing

aPPEALS

Post by blessing »

It's interesting to know there are sites like this. I found all your postings very educating. Can someone advise me on the chance of our appeal for the Bucks exam been successful based on test scores of 120 and 111.

I am yet to pick up headteacher report tomorrow, so not sure what has been written.
I am very worried about all these appeal business
dissapointed mum

Msge for Etienne and Blessing

Post by dissapointed mum »

Hi Blessing,
I know just how you feel. I am too awaiting for my letter from the head, and I havent a clue what she is going to write either. All I can say is hang in there, and best of luck with your appeal.
Disappointed mum

Etienne,
As suggested, I have shortened my letter, and PM'd it to you. Hope this one is better!
Ta very much
Disappointed mum
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I too think Jed has come up with rather a good analogy!

In the past, panels tended to want to see a "1" recommendation from the headteacher, largely, I suspect, because of "grade inflation". It will be interesting to see what view they now take of a "2" recommendation with the new description ("strong" recommendation). It will, I believe, depend on how successfully headteachers implement the new guidelines, and how realistic they are with their recommendations.

Dear blessing, it is impossible to comment on the chances of success without knowing the sort of case you will be putting forward (including all the academic evidence).

In response to your question in the other thread, how close to the 11+ was the date of the break-up, and was the child so upset that either the GP was involved, or there was a deterioration in the standard of schoolwork that can be confirmed?
Etienne
blessing

Post by blessing »

Etienne

Please see your private box and no GP involved
Ambridge

Advice one last time!!

Post by Ambridge »

Have received heads' appeal report for our son. Goes onto two A4 pages. If it were his yearly report we would be thrilled to bits, its fantastic but that is not its purpose is it??

The good bits... Statement of Support is fine:-

- 'I strongly support this appeal'

- 'in my professional opinion... the best place for him to further his education' etc (6 lines of it)

But whereas we have tried to pull together a succinct almost brief appeal report this one rambles, albeit incredibly positively but even I sort of lost interest reading it!!!

Say if we are 10th in line on the day of our appeal and its a cold January day and the panel have January blues and couldn't park easily that morning and rowed with their partners before they left home, is this going to go down well?

They have marked him as a 2 and 2 which reading the blurb I think is fine, he is in the 'next 25%' in his class of 25 which is not doing him any favours as he sits on a top table of 6 kids (4 incredibly bright) and is probably No 6 but she has stated there are only 25 in class.

We are going to try and get a letter of support from the form teacher in the coming weeks and send it off separately and hope she confirms what she said on parents evening about him definitely getting 5's in SATs and she would hope high 5's in maths and literacy and a bit more about his rank in class in general. Also confirmation of great attendance record and that he is head boy (if not we will talk about these little things on the day of the appeal).

NFER 114 score sits nicely in the middle of the form which I would like to Tippex out - no, I won't do that!!! (it was as a result of this test way back in May that we got him tutoring to practice 11+ papers but I can't mention that).

Comments please and also the types of questions that were asked at the appeal especially if anyone feels they had a particular strange/different/unexpected type of question.

Thank you all so much and hopefully any replies to this will also be of interest to other 'appealers' in the coming weeks.

xx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Ambridge

I'm sure you're going to do this anyway, but draw attention succinctly in your letter of appeal to the useful points in the head's statement in the order in which they occur, clearly indicating which section you're referring to (to make it easy for the panel to follow).

Go through this again at the hearing. Also take the opportunity to point out that it's still a good recommendation to be in the second 25% in a high performing school (I assume you will have the evidence of this, e.g. more than a third qualifying at the 11+ and/or above average within Bucks at KS2).

Don't spend long on attendance and "head boy" - they're not strictly relevant, and won't earn you any brownie points.

Regards
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now