Separation, Abroad & Appeal - Bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Non English Mother

Separation, Abroad & Appeal - Bucks

Post by Non English Mother »

Hi Our son got 117 & 115. He has been through a lot recently. He went to his mother's country (the other side of the world) due to his mum and dad being separated, and had to fit in to a local school with limited use of the language. Then only after one term there, he came back to Bucks, England. However, his headteacher decided to put him down to a lower band class as he was away for a while. That did not do much for his confidence. That was nearly two years ago.

Through a tutoring for a year, he has managed to come back up to the top class but the result was not good enough.

I have decided to appeal on the ground of a) he is a bilingual child. b) family problems. He has flourished with the help of his tutor and I'm sure he will continue to do so in a grammer school.

The problem is that I don't know how to approach our headteacher who is not very cooperative with me. Do you think that is because we do not stand a chance to appeal on this ground? :cry:

From a mother who speaks different language at home.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Non-English Mother

If your son has spent all his life in this country, apart from one term abroad, then I don't think it will make a great deal of difference. You say he is bilingual, but it wouldn't surprise me if he speaks - and certainly writes - English much better than he does your native language.

It's worth a mention, however, and together with the family circumstances you describe, it might just be enough to bridge the gap between 117 and 121, so I don't think your headteacher should be reluctant to support you on these grounds.

Like so many of the other cases being discussed at the moment, the outcome will depend much more on the strength of the academic evidence that will be put forward. You need to be able to prove that under "normal circumstances" your son would have achieved a qualifying score.

If you haven't already done so, have a look at section B24 on the following page:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... nswers.php

One thing missing from my list, that could be used as evidence, would be good school reports, especially if they indicate very high achievement. (Unfortunately some school reports these days hardly mention achievement, as if it's politically incorrect to do so!

Regards
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now