Appeal - Kent Nonqualification

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Hi twinkles,

Are you able to get evidence of the hospital stay? Was it a long journey for you as a family / close by meaning you spent a large amount of time there / did this mean that you did not really do any (or even much) practice papers?

The school may be able to confirm they had noticed a change in concentration if not a true dip in performance?

Good luck :)
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

T12ACY wrote:Hi twinkles,

Are you able to get evidence of the hospital stay? Was it a long journey for you as a family / close by meaning you spent a large amount of time there / did this mean that you did not really do any (or even much) practice papers?

The school may be able to confirm they had noticed a change in concentration if not a true dip in performance?

Good luck :)
Hi T12ACY

My father was in hospital in London for 3 weeks and then back to Kent hospital for a further 9 so a lot of time was spent visiting and yes, this meant that not much practice was done.

Tracy,

I'm not sure I understand your post - everything was all over the place at home not at all 'normal'!!!
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Ok, what I'm saying is that if everything at home was fine, then the child would not just maintain their levels but actually go up. As things were up in the air, just remaining at a constant level was an achievement. Not technically a dip which you could show in an appeal, but not working at full potential either.

Any clearer??
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

I can't say how you would word this, and perhaps Etienne will comment for you. What I do know is that you will need evidence of the event if at all possible :)
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Tracy wrote:Ok, what I'm saying is that if everything at home was fine, then the child would not just maintain their levels but actually go up. As things were up in the air, just remaining at a constant level was an achievement. Not technically a dip which you could show in an appeal, but not working at full potential either.

Any clearer??
Thanks. Much clearer now! You will have to excuse me I was being a bit thick!!!!
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

twinkles wrote:I am, finally, putting my appeal together and am having trouble in deciding how best to deal with the extenuating circumstances.

I don't want to waffle on too much but need to get across the fact that my father was in hospital for 12 weeks and it caused major disruption to my DS's life and everyone's emotional well being.

I do not have any evidence of school work declining though.

Any thoughts anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
Etienne are you about to advise on how best to put this in my appeal? Thanks in advance.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If I were on the panel, I would want to know most of the points covered above:
1. How far away was the hospital?
2. Over what period of time did you visit?
3. How frequently?
4. Did your son accompany you every time, or was he looked after by local friends/relatives?
5. What evidence is there of admission and discharge dates?
6. Did you raise this issue with anyone before the test?
7. How much practice for the test is actually recommended by the authority? (The more they recommend, the stronger your argument might be!)
8. What evidence is there from the school that your son's work deteriorated and/or that he seemed subdued/different from usual?

If you happen to be on weak ground with points 6-8, then the best thing is just to cover points 1-5 as briefly and factually as possible, and politely express the hope that the panel will take into account that this was a very disruptive time.

They may or may not ask you about points 6-8 at the hearing.

They may also try to ascertain how close your son is to grandfather (how often he normally sees him, etc.), but I wouldn't try to discuss how close they might be in your written submission.
Etienne
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Thanks very much Etienne, very helpful, as always.
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

The dreaded appeal date has arrived - Friday 7th May.

I feel sick, panic setting in!
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

i do know how you feel - good luck :)