Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Nathair

Post by Nathair »

It looks like it..
http://www.sghs.org.uk/SGHS_Admissions_Map.jpg
The red line is the edge of catchment
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10100;430/st/20100902/e/DD+Starts+Senior+School/dt/5/k/bbdb/event.png[/img]
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hasn't been for quite some years - if it ever was. doesn't mean to say that kids can't get in to the skipton schools, they usually will get places - they just aren't guaranteed at allocation day.

The catchment is a a very funny shape with the schools at the southern end - spreads about 18+ north and 2 miles or so south of the town.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I can't believe how far the catchment area is for the northern side of Skipton, it's obviously down to the sparse population!!

Even out of catchment, as long as you can prove academic ability, I expect you are in with a chance this year.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hi Yorkie,

If I remember correctly, Bougalou felt her school had sent in all the information requested for the review. However the result came back as insufficient evidence.

After digging into the matter further she discovered other schools had sent in additional material that was not specifically requested, such as reading age and some kind of school ranking. She felt this additional evidence made a significant difference when supplied at the review.

Like Herman, I think you should try contacting Bougalou.

Good Luck with the review.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Mitasol,

I think you are right about the info Bougalou's school sent, she definitely needed to get hold of more / different things.

H
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Snowdrops wrote:I can't believe how far the catchment area is for the northern side of Skipton, it's obviously down to the sparse population!!

Even out of catchment, as long as you can prove academic ability, I expect you are in with a chance this year.
yes very thinly populated but plenty of sheep, in the past when Ermysted's had boarders those who lived at beckermond and outershaw, buckden and Cray used to board because it took too long to get to school and back, the trasnport is better now with minibus from Kettlewell to threshfield I think.

.... looking at the map reminds me why I shouldn't take any notice of the Sat Nav when it gives the shortest route between Grassington and Settle.....

... just thinking - wouldn't be too surprised to see a rush of out of area late applicants (ie those who haven't already taken the exam) wanting to take a test if things stay like this?
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Hi all, have PMd yorkie
bouga
yorkie

Post by yorkie »

A BIG THANK YOU TO BOUGALOU!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now