Right! Here we go

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Nif

The Appeals Box is meant for specific queries - we don't normally have time to assess cases as a whole. I don't know if we'll be able to comment on the letters as it depends what they're about, but you can send them in and we'll see.
Is it worth mentioning at the Appeal that we think that our DS has only been recommended with a 3:2 because many of the DC in his year are already getting 5As?
I would advise you not to raise this yourself, but it's quite possible you will be asked about the '3', in which case you could suggest your son may have been overshadowed by so many high performing pupils.
We just wondered if it's too late to get an EDPsych's report, when is the deadline for this sort of evidence to be submitted?
I think they would need to have the report at least a week beforehand, so that they have time to send it on to panel members, who in turn need time to study it.
Etienne
nif229

Post by nif229 »

Hi Etienne

Thanks for replying to my post.

I've sent an email to the appealsbox@, containing the two letters. They're very short letters. Any feedback would be very much appreciated :D

Thanks as always.

Nif229
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Nif, I think the letters could be useful. Possible questions are 'Were there any obvious signs at the time of the tests?', 'Did the school notice anything out of the ordinary?'
Etienne
nif229

Post by nif229 »

Thanks Etienne

Hmm! Difficult question about the School. In Yr 3 our DS's S&LT came in to speak to his teachers about the best way to deal with his stammer etc. Although our DS's file has all the information in it, this was never passed on through School so his Yr 5 teacher was completely unaware and as a result DS was constantly put in situations that he found very stressful. When we spoke to the HT about this at the appeal meeting, he said 'what stammer?!?!', and had to check DS's file to confirm!! We have had an apology but this makes me question how well the school know our DS at all! His Yr6 teacher is amazing with him and as a result his confidence is overflowing (shame it came a few months too late!). Not sure how to put this to the panel as we don't want to come across as being negative :wink:

Phew!!! Need a glass of wine now :D

I appreciate your help, you really are a God send!!

Nif229
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Not sure how to put this to the panel as we don't want to come across as being negative
You're not being negative if you simply state the facts as you have above.
His Yr6 teacher is amazing with him and as a result his confidence is overflowing (shame it came a few months too late!).
That's a very positive message, and one that you need to put across! :)

Good luck!
Etienne
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Hi Nif. What, if anything, has your HT marked on the summary sheet where it asks if there are any extenuating circumstances?

We had this last year, when HT left this blank (DD has a chronic medical condition). We went back to HT and she grudgingly filled it in, with no details and no information about the impact of her condition.

In hindsight, it would have been better to have left this blank as we could then have used it as evidence of how little HT knew DD, and this might have also have sown a seed of doubt in the panel’s mind with regard to HT’s rankings.
nif229

Post by nif229 »

Hi Rob

Our HT amended the HT Summary. It now says:
****** has a stammer. In School he minimises the impact of this by using a variety of strategies such as word substitution to hide it. This is a recognised technique that stammerers can adopt. We do not know how much of an effect this may have had on ******'s performance.
If only he had have been aware before Yr 5!!! We're sure we wouldn't be in this position now!!

Thanks for your input, it's much appreciated!

Nif229
nif229

Post by nif229 »

Evening All!

Just letting you know that unfortunately our appeal was unsuccessful :cry:. We're obviously really disappointed but still feel that the appeal hearing was fair.

The good news however is that our DS has been offered a place at 2 Independent Schools. We decided to register him for them when we first heard that he hadn't passed his 11+ in November.

Many congratulations to everyone who has had a successful appeal result.

I just want to say a BIG thankyou to Sally-Anne and Etienne for their help and advice :D

Best Wishes
Nif229
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I'm sorry to hear that the appeal was unsuccessful, but you seem upbeat about it. I'm so pleased that you have an alternative (two, in fact!)

Hopefully you will be posting in September telling us just how happy your son is in his new school. x
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Sorry you had a disappointment with the appeal, but glad to hear your good news too!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now