Right! Here we go

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nif229

Right! Here we go

Post by nif229 »

Hi

We had our DS's Bucks 11+ result yesterday and unfortunately he hasn't qualified for Grammar. He got 116 and 117 and is absolutely devastated. It was completely unexpected and we are understandably shocked. He did very well in his three practice papers and can't understand where he went wrong on the real thing.

We've spoken to the Headmaster of his School and the good new is, he's more than happy to support an appeal.

Unfortunately, our DS had a terrible time last year in Yr5 and as a result, his confidence was completely shot to pieces. Although in saying that, he gained L4a in English, 4b Maths and 4b Science at the end of Yr5. Thankfully, Yr6 is proving to be much better, we've just had his parent's evening. He's doing very well, he's sensible, extremely hardworking and a pleasure to have in the class. He won an achievement award in Y4, his teacher wrote, 'He's a role model to the rest of the class in both his willingness to work and exemplary behaviour at all times'.

DS's sister is in Yr8 at a local Grammar School, so we are familiar with the Grammar system. We are absolutely sure that DS will thrive in a Grammar environment, surrounded by many like minded children. He wants to be a pilot when he's older and is determined to do whatever it takes to help him fulfill his dream (bless him)!

Please, please help, my DH and I have absolutely no idea how to go about an appeal process, so any advice would be very much appreciated.

I'm sure things will become slightly clearer after our meeting with the Head on Tuesday, but if anybody has any words of wisdom in our hour of need, it'd be great to hear them!

Best Wishes

Nif229 :cry:
chad

Post by chad »

If you haven't looked a the Question and answers on the main site then that is where you should start

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... nswers.php

If you are unsure of certain aspects or need more specific help relating to your case then please post back on this thread. Etienne and S-A will be around over the next week to give you their thoughts. The more info you can give them the better the advice will be.
It is a busy time but they will get back to you as soon as they can.
nif229

Post by nif229 »

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Chad. It was very much appreciated.

Nif229
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi nif

You know just how sad I am to see you on Appeals. :(

You have all the early makings of a very good case, so please keep working away on it and let us know how things are going.

Please beware one trap - being hard-working and an all-round nice chap will not win your case. You really need evidence of academic ability.

S-A
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Please beware one trap - being hard-working and an all-round nice chap will not win your case. You really need evidence of academic ability.
Wise words! :)

Where non-qualification is the issue, the appeal panel will want to focus on academic ability + any extenuating circumstances.
Etienne
nif229

Post by nif229 »

Hi Etienne

Appeal 116:117

Thank you for your reply, it's much appreciateed. Yes you're right, it's a pity that being a lovely chap can't get him through the appeal process. :D

We had our meeting with DS's Head this afternoon. He is more than willing to support an appeal for DS. He gave him a 3:2 and is expecting him to get level 5s across the board in the Yr 6 sats. We're obviously pleased that we have the School's full support.

We've come away with the appeal form and just don't know where to start. How on earth can we sell our DS well enough to get him to the school he really wants and deserves to go to?! We have absolutely no extenuating circumstances either!!

Sorry to ramble on!!

Nif229
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi, Nif

You really don't have to sell your son. The panel will only be looking at evidence.

Try and restrict yourself to the space on the appeal form. I would write something along the lines you mentioned above (leaving out the 'what a nice chap' bits!):
"Unfortunately, our DS had a terrible time last year in Yr5 and as a result, his confidence was completely shot to pieces. Although in saying that, he gained L4a in English, 4b Maths and 4b Science at the end of Yr5. Thankfully, Yr6 is proving to be much better, although the 11+ probably came a bit too soon for him ..."

No need to go into details now - the panel will ask you to explain about year 5 at the hearing.

For academic evidence you will be relying on what the head writes on the appeal summary sheet.
Etienne
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Hi 'nif229' I feel for you ... trying to put a case together, even when you know what your DS is like (a lovely chap :) ) and just right for Grammar; to get that across to an appeal panel showing academic ability/suitability is very hard ..... :(

I had a look through my DDs school reports for the last two years, both comment on her personality, supporting our argument that she has the right attitude for Grammar School and its academic expectations ... have a look through your DSs there might be something there. Plus the reports can be sent off as part of the 'back-up' documents.

Good luck, it's a hard process, but like you we've got through the first hurdle 'Head teachers support', now to the next ..... :roll:
Heartmum x x x
nif229

Post by nif229 »

Sally-Anne/Etienne

We've now had the HM summary back for our DS. Would it be possible to send either of you a PM about our appeal circumstances. I wondered if it were possible to have your opinion please. We're just going round in circles!!

We would very much appreciate some help.

Best Wishes
Nif229
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi nif

Please send the information via the email Appeals Box.

We will take a look and reply to you as soon as we can.

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now