What to mention at appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear jb

Many of the positive comments (e.g. "reads with understanding") aren't precise enough to indicate grammar school standard. (To be fair, these reports aren't written for that purpose.)

There are just one or two apparently positive comments that are prefaced with "is beginning to ....." - which always sounds a bit lukewarm!

Lack of confidence in numeracy has already been mentioned.

Like many school reports, it won't do much to help a selection appeal, but it's a 'nice' report that probably wouldn't do much harm!

The results page is much more interesting from an appeal point of view, but, as I suggested above, some of the results look a bit borderline.

Just my view.
Etienne
jellybaby

Post by jellybaby »

Etienne or Sally Anne,

We've just had our appeal, and something unexpected came up and we are not sure what to make of it. Can I PM you please?

JB
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi JB

You can PM me and I will discuss any issues that I can't immediately help on with Etienne.

Thank you for asking for permission - I always appreciate it.

Sally-Anne
jellybaby

Post by jellybaby »

A few weeks ago I read on here that you can pay £10(?) and get a copy of the minutes from the Appeal. Can someone please remind me who we have to write to etc, as I can't find it now.

Many thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Etienne
jellybaby

Post by jellybaby »

Thanks Etienne. Will wait a few days then do this.

In between biting my nails in anticipation of the envelope arriving, I thought I'd jot down some of the questions that I can remember them asking. Many were very specific to our case, so I'll not mention them.

- How did she feel before / after the tests?

- Have her siblings encouraged her to try and get to GS?

- What is she reading?

- What is she like as a person / character?

- How did she cope with the practice tests?

JB
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Thanks JB

The "did her siblings encourage her" question is a new slant on an old angle from my side.

Fingers crossed - please don't attack the postman! :D

Sally-Anne
jellybaby

Post by jellybaby »

Yes - we weren't sure how to answer that one ... I think we came up with a mixture of ... not overly, because they didn't want her to be disappointed if she didn't get a high enough mark, and .... of course, it's only natural that they would want her to join them at their school.

I expect the postmans probably left the country by now, to be on the safe side!! :D
jellybaby

Post by jellybaby »

Can't wipe the smile off my face - we got the letter this morning, and it's a YES!! :D

The postman was almost as relieved as I was!!

(For anyone waiting for letters - our appeal was last Friday. Best of luck to the others still waiting to hear - or even worse, still waiting for their appeal!)
Milla

Post by Milla »

oh congratulations jellyb you must be ecstatic!!!!
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now