missed by 5 marks - Gloucestershire

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Good to hear from you again, D. - And how wonderful that your daughter is thriving at the GS she always wanted to go to.

Most people would have been satisfied with one successful appeal in the end, but you had to go and win two!
All that practice the previous year paid off! :lol:
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Lovely to hear from you again Dejavu/my beloved Marvin.

I am delighted to hear how well your daughter is getting on.

Best wishes
Sally-Anne, sometimes known as Trillion. :D
daisydoo

Post by daisydoo »

Thanks so much dejavu. It's great to here from someone else who can advise on eyesight issues.

Also thanks to capers for highlighting that I have time to compile my evidence.

I spoke to school teacher who will support application so just need to get started, thanks again.
daisydoo

Post by daisydoo »

Have been advised not to put GS on preference list as DD did not qualify. I should put down 4 comps and then appeal to GS in March after allocation day. I'm told that for non-qualification appeals you don't need to have the GS on the preference list in oder to appeal - is this right?

many thanks for help :D
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I don't know about your area in particular, but I think you cannot appeal to a school you have not put down on your form , so my advice would be to put the GS down as first choice, and then your other choices in preferred order after that. If you have not qualified for the GS you will not be offered it, but you will be offered your highest preference school that you do qualify for. You can then appeal to the GS, and if succesful will be offered a place there.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I think what LFH is saying is generally right, but it might hinge on when Glos. will allow preferences to be changed. Capers, where are you?
Etienne
dejavu

I agree

Post by dejavu »

I was also thinking the same thing....

If you appeal - when will the appeals be held? Would it be before the allocation day and would the outcome be known before allocation day.

Here in Bucks, most 11+ appeals and their outcomes are held, and known, before allocation day. So if you win your appeal you DC is deemed to have qualified the same as all those that originally passed, and they are all put in the same melting plot re allocations, regardless of what score they achieved (as long as they got that magical 121 or their appeal was upheld).

So, if one of us put a secondary school above a gs place and you passed your appeal, you would still be given your first preference, and not the gs one which you really wanted. I would be tempted to put you gs school first, in the hope that you win your appeal. If unsuccesful, but you pass the 12+, then it might add weight to an oversubscription appeal that you put the gs as first preference, and that it has always been your Dd's first choice (every little helps - I included that in my 12+ appeal - that it had always been my Dd's first choice).

Hope this helps, but am not "au fait" with Gloucs (or French for that matter).
many thanks
dejavu
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I think Bucks is unusual in aiming to get the non-qualification issue 'done and dusted' before 1st March. With around 900 appeals, it's quite a challenge - and quite an achievement!
Etienne
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Yes I think it is, many areas are hearing appeals from March until July.

I also think that although it is good if you get to know your results before filling in your CAF (eg Slough Grammar), it leaves you in a bit of a quandry if you have failed by a couple of marks and want to appeal especially if you have a linited number of places on your form (eg only 3 as some places have)
daisydoo

Post by daisydoo »

Thanks everyone for your continuuing support - it really helps :D
Spoke to admissions at RH who said not to put on preference if you don't qualify. Appeal in glos is after allocation day where I would have to ring school for appeal pack after March 2nd as they are a foundation school.

The appeal panel would not expect to see RH on preference list - hope this is right?

Capers does this sound right?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now