Submission of evidence for appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
A&J Bucks

Submission of evidence for appeal

Post by A&J Bucks »

Thinking of content to put in appeal; scores of 114:119. We approached school to ask their thoughts on what is best for our daughter. Head says we must appeal and will be strongly supported, although we don't yet know the specific details of the school support. We've been looking through the strands with great interest but are a little confused about the submission of certain evidence. It seems important to submit evidence of high achievement. 'Non selected' work seems worthwhile to submit if it demonstrates high achievement. It's not possible to submit whole exercise books as evidence at the point of submitting our case, yet the forum seems to guard against submitting 'selected work' and
taking 'additional evidence' to the hearing as panel members will not have time to properly consider it. What is the best way to submit evidence of work a child has done if we don't select examples from exercise books and copy / submit it with the necessary forms/letters/statements? Would that not be acceptable if we then took the complete exercise books to the appeal hearing - but then it would be difficult to take 6 copies of any exercise books! Can anyone offer advice on this point?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear A&J

My advice would be to take exercise books (English, Maths and Science) with you on the day - unless the evidence is incriminating!!!

I know the panel will only have a couple of minutes to glance at them, but it doesn't matter because schoolwork hardly ever influences the decision!

Photocopies are positively discouraged because they are not always clear.

It might be better if parents were actually advised not to bring school work.

Don't lose any sleep over it!
Etienne
A&J Bucks

Post by A&J Bucks »

Thanks for that Etienne - so it's objective test results and predictive SATS / strength of head teacher's support etc., rather than illustrative examples of a child's work that is important?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Yes, I would say so.

Some parents arrive with boxes of exercise books, folders, models, poems, bound projects, etc. I can just hear the panel inwardly groaning! There simply isn't time, and it's not necessary.

If the work is good, that fact should be reflected in the school's comments (there is a space on the headteacher's form for remarks on curriculum areas).

Good luck
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi A&J Bucks

Yes, as Etienne says, take in Eng/Maths/Science as the basics. If your child happens to really excel at either History or Geography, you could add either or both.

You might like to put some small post-it notes on a very few exceptional pages, just to make sure that the panel don't overlook them. You could tactfully say that "as you obviously will have only a short time to look at the books we felt it would be helpful to highlight a few key pieces of work, but we are sure you will want to look through other examples anyway".

Sally-Anne
disappointedparent

11+ appeals

Post by disappointedparent »

Hi
our son achieved 118/114 in his Bucks exams..he was very down and disappointed..we are starting the appeals process..our headmaster is not very supporting as he doesn't beleive in the 'grammar system'. we are getting together my sons school text books etc...and project work for the appeals panel...is their anything else we can contribute? do we need to send all the evidence with the appeals letter or can it be submitted later?
tHANK-YOU FOR YOUR HELP
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi disappointed,

I am sorry that your Head isn't supporting you because of "political reasons". Tell the appeal panel that when you meet them - they may well have come across other parents from the same school, and be familiar with the problem. (I wouldn't put it in the appeal letter though.)

Your appeal letter should be kept very brief - one side of A4 if possible. Any other evidence should be submitted as numbered appendices. These might include short written statements from the class teacher, or teachers of core subjects and copies of pages from school reports (core subjects only). Any statement of special needs/Ed Psych report should also be sent in advance to give the panel the chance to understand the issues fully. If the child has, for example, won a County Chess championship or a scientific award, then a newspaper cutting would be appropriate. For other extra-curricular achievements only something really major would be worth putting in - a sporting 1st place at county/national level. A snap of little Johnny in the back row of the chorus at last year's panto will not cut any ice! Nor will letters from Brown Owl, saying what a good girl little Jane is each week at Brownies!

The panel will have literally a couple of minutes to look at school work, and what they will most want to see is English/Maths/Science exercise books. If there is an exceptional piece of project work for one of the core subjects, then take that along. Just be very careful not to over-face the panel - you will not be thanked for taking in great volumes of paper, and it will just obscure the very best work if you do so.

You do not need to submit all the evidence with the appeals letter - you can submit further evidence by post up to 7 days before the appeal (don't forget the Christmas postal delay!) or even, in extremis, take it with you on the day.

Also, remember that your appeal might be heard before the start of the spring term, so make sure that you have any evidence you need from the school before the end of this term.

Sally-Anne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I forgot to mention that typed work is generally not viewed as being of interest, as there can be doubt as to exactly who created it. Everything should be handwritten, except when the child usually uses a computer at school.
blessing

Post by blessing »

Hi, I am just wondering what type of evidence can you submit to support appeal based on family break up such as separation of parents.

I am dying to know
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear blessing

See my reply in the other thread.
Etienne