Dyslexic son failed 11+ (BUCKS) Please see enclosed details

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Hi Etienne,
So academic stuff first then should ....relative weakness in working memory, dyslexia, extra time refused.... go in extenuating circumstances?

Should I put something about disability/dyslexia in the intro?

Sorry about the detail I just don't want it to come across as a jumble :(
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I don't think so, Sugar. Panels get a lot of dyslexia cases, so it's not something that needs introducing or explaining.

Keep your statement short. Focus on referring the panel to the evidence.
Etienne
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

I think I need in writing (Disability rights commission) that he is disabled.

Sugar, I don’t think they will do this as each case is considered on its own merits – there is no carte blanche coverage, they will only give you a ‘balance of probabilities’ answer. The only way to get an individual case acknowledged is through the courts. As I suggested previously, talk to the Disability Rights Commission on the phone and tape the conversation.
It's for the panel to decide whether the Disability Discrimination Act applies.
Etienne, I know the appeal panels in Bucks seem to be all-powerful :D but I don’t think you quite mean this, do you? It’s for the law to decide whether the DDA applies; it’s for the panel to decide on the implications of this decision.
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Hi Rob and Etienne,

Called the Disability rights commission today and they said they could not make the call only through a tribunal could a judgement be made. That the school were the responsible body to made any ajustment for disability and I should send a letter(recorded delivered) to the school asking why this did not happen. But I know that the school applied and that the admissions team refused!

Any thoughts?
:?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Rob

I wouldn't want to suggest that IAPs are omnipotent! :lol:

I was trying to reassure Sugar that she doesn't have to prove disability (although, clearly, any evidence she can produce will be helpful). She can let the panel consider all the facts of the case and take a decision.

An appeal panel is a tribunal with a quasi-judicial function. For the purposes of an appeal it seems to me that the panel is required to decide whether the child has a disability as defined in the DDA, and, if so, whether discrimination has occurred. I would accept that this is just the panel's view, and relates only to the case in question.

Sugar

I assume this is a Bucks LA primary school, in which case the LA is the responsible body. This is a matter that can be considered at the appeal where the LA will be represented. I would expect the appeal papers to include a form explaining (very briefly) why the school's request on your behalf was turned down. I don't think there is anything more you can do about it at the moment, so please don't worry.
Etienne
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Hi Etienne,

If Iam understanding right your saying that if we have the evidence( which is outstanding) the panel will make the right decission.

Does that mean I can sleep tonight?
X
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Not quite! :)

I was trying to reassure you that you've done everything possible.

On the basis of the evidence, the panel will have to make its mind up about:
  • 1. Is there a disability within the meaning of the DDA?

2. If so, did did the authority fail to make reasonable adjustments when it knew, or could reasonably have been expected to know, about the disability?

3. If reasonable adjustments were not made or were inadequate, on the balance of probabilities would a successful mark have been achieved if the adjustments had been in place? (This is where the gap between the mark achieved and the qualifying score is considered.)
Etienne
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Hi Etienne,
I have bee looking at your response for a while now and trying to under my next steps. I guess what you said was I have all I need and I just need to present the facts at the appeal and hope the panel come to the right conclusion.

I know as part of the process we get to ask the LEA rep. questions. Should I ask why they did not give extra time?

X
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sugar

At the moment my feeling is you should let the panel ask the questions about disability.

On a separate matter, looking back at the first page, could you check whether you entered the following correctly:
Processing speed Index 106 %ile rank 91
I don't understand how 106 could be the 91st percentile.
Etienne
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Hi Etienne,
Yes you are quite right it should read;

Processing Speed Index Composite score 106, Percentile rank 66, (95% CI 96 - 114)

I have checked the rest and it is correct.

Another question for you, What about the Education Act 1996 which says that 'if he has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of children of his age'...special educational provision should be provided.

Does that mean disability does not need to come in to it?