Appeal for Kat71

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kat71

Hi Kettner

Post by kat71 »

I too am in the same situation...and also a 1st time poster.

My daughter scored an incredibly low score of 110, despite Level 5 SATS reults and NFER practice scores of 125 and 132 for 2 years running??

Extenuating circumstances include her Stepfather's deployment for Afghanistan on the day of the 1st paper, New Head and Deputy Head in 2009, and unavoidable disruptions to the the school's dynamics and the straw that broke our backs was the 'leaking news' on the eve of the 1st paper, that the newly appointed Year 6 teacher (in Sep 09) was resigning at the end of term?

I am going for Appeal with the school's full backing and have an appointment with the Head on Fri.

Any advice on what to bring other than past papers and achievements etc would be appreciated. In addition, if anyone is familiar with the Appeals procedure do you think the above circumstances would seem Extenuating enough, or am I clutching at straws???

Many Thanks in anticipation of a reply,

Confused & Concerned x

PS...Mid Aug birthday if this helps???
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Kat71

I have split your post out from the other thread because it really helps us to have all your information in one place. This is, essentially, your "case file".
My daughter scored an incredibly low score of 110, despite Level 5 SATS reults and NFER practice scores of 125 and 132 for 2 years running??
Can I confirm what you mean by "NFER scores for 2 years running? Were they tests that your daughter took at school?

What was the other score, and what was the order of the results?
Extenuating circumstances include her Stepfather's deployment for Afghanistan on the day of the 1st paper
Was the news first announced that day, or did he leave that day? Either way, I think that this would be taken into account by a panel as genuine mitigating circumstances. You will need to explain the impact on your daughter of his departure. You do have a great deal of ground to make up from a score of 110.

If he is still in Afghanistan, I would like to say that he has my greatest admiration, and I hope that he comes home safely.
New Head and Deputy Head in 2009, and unavoidable disruptions to the the school's dynamics and the straw that broke our backs was the 'leaking news' on the eve of the 1st paper, that the newly appointed Year 6 teacher (in Sep 09) was resigning at the end of term?
Not really relevant, because these changes would have affected all the children taking the test.

You seem to have strong mitigating circumstances, but now you must focus on obtaining all the academic evidence possible. If you have the money to do so, and you really believe that your daughter is entirely suited to a grammar school, I would suggest that you consider getting a report from an Educational Psychologist. It will unfortunately cost around £400. :(

The mid-August birthday does help - I suggest that you discuss the question of your daugther's maturity with the Head and obtain some supporting evidence from the school.

Sally-Anne
kat71

Thank you...

Post by kat71 »

Sally-Ann,

Firstly, thank you for the speedy response...I appreciate it is late in the evening, but I was only made aware of this forum this evening from a friend 'in the same boat'. Also appreciate you 'splitting me from the other thread...I tried to send a new topic but keep shutting me out?? Anyway...

Ref the NFER scores...yes these were taken in school and made up part of the SATs results. Verbal reasoning attained a score of 125 on both the last 2 SATS papers taken and the 132 is her Non-verbal reasoning score for the same papers. I totally appreciate that these will have no bearing on an appeal.

As or the Mitigating circumstances...my DH is still away. He only returned from his previous 6 mth tour in May of this year and was told immediately he would be away again Sep/Oct time.
He spent most of the summer away on pre-deployment training leaving us and our 1 yr old DD on our own again. I informed the school of our circumstances on the 2nd day back in Sep, in an interview with the Head. At this time we were told he would be leaving late Oct. Then with a weeks notice we were told he was leaving on the very day of the exam. When my DD left for school that morning she said farewell to him and that was that.

We are a Forces family and are used to last minute eployments, but this one has really taken it's toll on her. She watches the news and there really is no avoiding whats going on in the Nedia.
Yes he will be away until March approx. so again I will be going through all this on my own...hence why I am seeking your advice.

She is also Head-Girl at her school and has been commended as a fantastic embassador. Despite her young age she is Mature for her age, and when the chips are down she can wear a fantastic facade...which is what has happened in this case I feel.

I fully concur that an EP would support our case, but I am not sure if we have the means to do so...key workers salaries??

apart from previous exam results and list of achievements etc is there any other evidence you could suggest I try to obtain?

Thanks and look forward to you next reply,

Kat x
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Kat

re the ed psych report, is their any mileage is asking through the AWS if they have access to Ed Psychs or poss they may know of funding to help (?army benevolent fund) - they are supposed to help families too.
kat71

Thanks...

Post by kat71 »

Herman,

You are totally correct...my only frea is that time is ticking?? I doubt very much I could get anything back in time to meet the Appeal deadline....good call though as I may be able to obtain something for the hearing, if successful getting that far!
Doubt they would fund an EP though? If you have any further knowledge on that one, please spill the beans...any help gratefully received.

Cheers Kat
kat71

Typos...

Post by kat71 »

apologies for any typos....mind racing and fingers not keeping up!!! LOL!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Try contacting SSAFA - they may even do an interest free loan as it's a time restraint thing?

They are very good, helped me out years ago when my then hubby was posted out to Cyprus for 3 years and we had to stay behind due to dd. I couldn't get a flight out so I rang them, not only did they find me and the 2 kids a flight, they also paid for it !!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Crumbs - no extra knowledge other than have come across some army education people with mega knowledge of schools / results etc .. just thought there might be a resource. Agree ++ about the time though - it is always slower when other people are involved!! Might we worth a call though - do you have a specific contact person?

On the Army Benev fund page is a list of contacts for all the regiments / organisations.. that might be one port of call ..?
I'll PM you the link

herman
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Snowdrops wrote:Try contacting SSAFA - they may even do an interest free loan as it's a time restraint thing?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Agreed - forgot about SSAFA - it is that sort of thing that might help - relatively small amounts of money (in the overall scheme of the cost of running the army and keeping it going in Afghanistan..) but can make significant differences to you and your OH.
kat71

Thanks guys....

Post by kat71 »

Snowdrops and Herman...thank you both ever so much. Nothing ventured - nothing gained.

Do not have a contact name but should be easy enough to source. Never honestly thought of going down this route so thanks for the Heads up! x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now