How do I explain lower Verbal CAT scores

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lakmer

reply to dyslexichelpneeded

Post by lakmer »

sorry, after reading my response, I did not answer your question.

he had to read the passages, and was questioned on it. He did not read them orally, but he read them in his head.
dyslexichelpneeded

Post by dyslexichelpneeded »

So, the point there is that he was *reading* the passages (aloud or silently), so the VCI is an indicator of *reading comprehension*. I would have thought that reading comprehension is a good indicator of intelligence! (More so than word reading scores). I would ask the EP the questions posed by Etienne and me.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I wonder if the relatively low word reading compared with the high comprehension level implies a (relative) problem in decoding words?
My eldest currently at a Grammar has just been given an in depth assessment due to problems with english and spelling. The same descrepency between decoding and understanding showed up, as your's. It has been put down to either a mild from of dylslexia or the fact that he was taught until year 4 in a different language (personally I think it is a combination of the two). He is now receiving extra support.

Interestingly like your son his NVR score was very high even though that had not been the case when he did his CATs. This it was said should be noted.

His younger brother who had the same early education scored suprisingly low in his 11+, he too has a high NVR score for CATs.

It seems a second language issue is probably a problem with standard VR tests even though in both my sons' cases they are English first language.
lakmer

Discrepency in Authority Case

Post by lakmer »

I would love to get some advice on this. We have just received the case from the LEA on their case, and in their case it says that the Head Teacher's recommendation was 3.1, where in our Headteacher summary was 2.1.

Also the breakdown of the 1,2, and 3's do not add up to the total in the year.

Can anyone give me their comments / views.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Lakmer

You need to call the Appeals team about the recommendation first thing on Tuesday morning and insist that it is sorted out before the appeal, and that you get written confirmation of the results of that.

If you don't get it sorted out beforehand, your appeal will be adjourned for at least as long as it takes the LA Rep to call the school, and if no one there is contactable, you could find the whole appeal is adjourned to another date.

I suggest that you also call the school so that they can check the information from their side.

The total of recommendations may not reflect the total in the year because:
a) some children were not recommended;
b) some children were withdrawn from the test by their parents.

However, I suggest that you check those figures with the school as well, just in case.

Sally-Anne
lakmer

wrong predicted marks

Post by lakmer »

Sally-Anne, thank you for your reply, as you can understand, it was a bit of an unexpected suprise.

Are you aware of this happening before?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I've heard of one or two instances, but it's rare.

A possible reason for the 3:1/2:1 discrepancy is that the head has revised his original recommendation, but he shouldn't do this (not without explanation, anyway).
Etienne
lakmer

Discrepency in Authority Case

Post by lakmer »

the head teacher has now left the school and has retired as of the end of December. If it has moved from a 3.1 to a 2.1 (as the letter we have clearly says 2.1), so we will contact the school and the LEA. Is there any thing we can do to help the situation.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Nothing that hasn't been mentioned already. I would start with the school - ask them whether what is in the letter is different from what they sent to the County. You can at the same time ask them to confirm whether the totals are correct.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now