Q re HT ranking for appeal (pio)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pio

Q re HT ranking for appeal (pio)

Post by pio »

Hi etienne, Ive just sent you a PM re my childs HT recommendation, and would like if you have time to let me know how you see this in relation to his chances at an appeal that we are attending over the next two weeks?
Thanking you for your kind attention to the above.
Pio
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi pio

I think Etienne has had a busy day, but I have just read your message to the Appeals Box. (Yes, it arrived!)

If you have a scanner, or the report came by email, could you also send that to the Appeals Box and I will take a look at it and get back to you.

Please let me know in the same email when your appeal is as well.

Sally-Anne
pio

pio

Post by pio »

Hi sally Ann, I have now PM'd the psych Ed report, hope this finds you ok...
Pio
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi pio

He is certainly not lacking in ability, and the report shows that very clearly. The scores are all very good, although he does seem stronger on maths and non-verbal reasoning skills.

I would draw attention to that, and very politely and gently suggest that a VR test might not always bring out the best in him. (The practice tests are of course a less stressful experience for the children all round.)

Regarding the problem with the Head's recommendation I would state that you know how the recommendations were drawn up and that she herself says that this was perhaps not the most reliable way to go about the process. I would not allow yourself to be drawn into further discussion, because the contrast between her recommendations and his ability speaks for itself. How could a child with a report as good as this have received that recommendation? (You don't need to tell the panel that - they will already be thinking it!)

The scores are going in the right direction (if there had been a third test ...?), you only have a couple of marks to explain away, you have plenty of evidence of very high ability and the Head's recommendation is only one part of the mix for the panel.

Once you have the appeal documents (I assume you don't yet?) please email the Head's overall recommendations to the Appeals Box, in the format:

1:1 No. recommended (No. qualified)
1:2 Ditto
1:3 "
2:1 "
2:2 "
2:3 "
3:1 "

Sally-Anne
pio

Post by pio »

Thanks once again Sally Ann for your very prompt feed back! and I will send recommendations when available to me,
Pio
pio

Post by pio »

Hi Sally Ann, I have just sent some information as requested through the Appeal Box,
Pio
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi pio

Hmmm. Although the 1:1s look fab, the ones and twos overall are not very impressive at all. One would hope to see around 60%+ of the "1s" get through, for example.

I think that the panel will be asking themselves a few questions about how well the Head knows the children.

This would be one appeal where I hope that you get the question about your view on the Head's recommendations! Don't venture too far into that territory though. "I don't really feel that I am qualified to answer that, but I do know how the Head prepared them ... I'm not sure how reliable that method would have been though?" Not much more than that is needed.

On your other question, the Appeals Box is viewable only by Etienne, me and couple of other Moderators who support appeal parents from other areas of the country. Please rest assured that all information in it remains completely confidential.

Sally-Anne
pio

Post by pio »

Im very appreciative of this advice, and note your suggestion in answering any recommendation queries should they arise..
Pio
pippi

Post by pippi »

Deleted by moderator.

Please feel free to start your own thread somewhere else.
pio

Post by pio »

Hi pippi, Please excuse me but Im rushing around today and don't understand what you have posted.. so if you get a chance to make it clearer to me...
Pio