Non Qualification, schools dilemma

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
WomanofFAITH

Non Qualification, schools dilemma

Post by WomanofFAITH »

Hi Everyone...Can someone help me please as i am really confused.

My DD got 115 in her exams and the cut off for Buckinghamshire is 121.

We have decided to appeal, here a local appeal panel is not offered.
the main reason being that all 3 school choices we made are grammar schools, the fact that she's the youngest in her year is also in consideration. She's just turned 10.
i have also put some information in the appeals box but this is the gist of the matter.
She was on the SEN (special education needs) programme for several years and she's just this term been taken off the programme. I believe she's improved greatly, exemplified by her 11+ scores
What do i do now? Because right now she's not assured of a school place.

How do i go about the appeals process....what can i do...Please help.
Thanks in advance.....
WomanofFAITH
hetty wainthrop

Post by hetty wainthrop »

Hi W.O.F. - I'm presuming that your dd was taken off the SEN register due to overall improvements in her 'condition.' Under whose recommendation was that? Was your daughter formally assessed by an Ed. Psych or was it the school's SENCO that made the decision? The reason that I'm asking is that had your dd still been on the SEN register then she MAY have been entitled to extra time in which to sit the test, and this might have made all the difference. If you are going to appeal then maybe you may have the beginnings of grounds for appeal on this basis. Having been through the horrendous appeals process this year, we found the Ed Psych's opinion invaluable, as a recommendation was made that our dd should have been allocated extra time, but this wasn't put in motion on the day.(She only failed by 1 mark) Fortunately our appeal was successful. I have to say though that not all recommendations for extra time are allowed, but it's got to be worth a try. Good luck!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear W of F

So sorry to hear your news.

Your LA will have to find you a place locally for September, but it will probably be the nearest school with vacancies (and could possibly be some distance away).

You can obtain an appeals form by writing to the Appeals Team, Old County Offices, Aylesbury, Bucks. Or you can ring County Hall and ask to be put through to the Appeals Team. Explain that your child is not at a Bucks school.

It's not unusual for schools outside of Bucks to be less than enthusiastic about providing support for 11+ appeals.

Some of the things an appeal panel might be interested in include what the other 11+ score was, what level of SEN your child was on (e.g. school action or school action plus), and the exact date when father went abroad.

Hope this is of some help.
Etienne
WomanofFAITH

Post by WomanofFAITH »

Thanks for your help, i appreciate it, but i have more questions.

Her other mark is 114 and the move was made in march 2009.

she was just taken off the SEN this half term..at least i found out about it during the parents evening. Her teacher said she felt she didn't need it anymore. Is that relevant?
She's been on the SEN since her year 2. In my opinion, going from SEN to 114/115 is a vast improvement.
How do i go about proving it, do i ask the school for her records.
Should i have mentioned it during the exam. There wasn't anything on the form that encouraged us to mention issues like that though!
I'm sorry if i'm asking too many questions but i feel so confused and lost and i don't want to present a good case(if any) in a shoddy manner.
Where can i get the information i need.
Are these definately grounds for appeal.Will the school provide the information i need???
WomanofFAITH
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear W of F

The only reason for mentioning SEN before the test would have been if your child needed any special arrangements. This is what it says in the Bucks secondary schools guide:
you may want to discuss whether any special testing arrangements should be made if your child’s access to the tests could be affected by their disability. .......For example, we can arrange for large-print copies of the test booklets for children with visual difficulties, different-coloured versions for children with dyslexia, enlarged answer sheets or help to fill in the answer sheet, or (in limited and very exceptional circumstances) extra time. ....... This will involve us receiving a professional assessment or other appropriate evidence to support your child’s case. We need to know about this before your child sits the tests so that the application can be considered beforehand. Where we receive such requests we will always look for evidence of how the normal day-to-day delivery of the curriculum is adjusted to meet the child’s particular needs.
If a request should have been made but wasn't, this is something an appeal panel can consider - but again there would need to be "a professional assessment or other appropriate evidence to support your child’s case".

The problem at the moment is we don't know for sure whether your school will support your case until you ask.

You are entitled to a copy of your child's school record under the Data Protection Act.

The average 11+ score is 111, so I agree that your child has done really well. Whether you have a case for an appeal, though, I'm not yet sure, and unfortunately the success rate for appeals with 115 is only around 18%.

If the SENCO says your child no longer has special needs, how would you prove otherwise to an appeal panel? You could pay privately for an educational psychologist's report, but it might cost over £500 and might not give the answer you want.

There are two things you need to do:
1. Talk to the current school.
2. Contact your local LA Pupil Support to ask when you can submit a late change of preference for one of their schools. (This won't affect your right to have a selection appeal in Bucks, but is the first step in making sure there's a school place somewhere.) You may not get your change of preference in one of the later allocation rounds, because the school may well be full up by then, but you will then be able to go to appeal for that school. And, if you're unsuccessful at appeal, your local LA will have to find you a school place somewhere.
Etienne
WomanofFAITH

Post by WomanofFAITH »

Dear Etienne,

Thanks for your help so far. I've been in touch with the school and i was told that they will help to the best of their ability. I have asked for her records and i was told i'll get them soon. The appeal documents have arrived, what do i do now. What can i base my appeal on now?
Please help!
WomanofFAITH
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now