chances at appeal - any advice gratefully received

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Totty

The deadline for the Head's recommendations is one week before the 11+ results are published. CATs are administered by schools and that can be at any time, so check the date and compare the two.

Over-optimistic recommendations will not invalidate a comment of high academic ability because they are just one piece of evidence in the whole of your case.

As I have just posted to "adoreableade" on his/her thread, try not to get drawn in to a discussion about the wider recommendations - just focus on your case.

S-A
tottington

Post by tottington »

Hi Sally-Anne/Etienne,
have just reread the letter I enclosed with the original docs (HT report etc.). I had to write it in rather a hurry and realise now that it's not very good (nothing factually wrong etc., but stuff in it that's probably irrelevant):(
Just wondering whether this will be a problem - if my subsequent 'speech' at the appeal hearing is coherent and lucid (we'll see :?) do you think it'll matter about the original letter?

Totty
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Totty

If you simply included irrelevant information for an appeal (enjoys tennis, plays the guitar) then there is absolutely no problem. Just leave it out of the presentation.

If it was extenuating circumstances that you now realise aren't going to cut any ice, that could be a different matter ...

S-A
tottington

Post by tottington »

Hi Sally-Anne,
phew, no, it was just irrelevant stuff (music and art reports, and how well he would do at a GS, blabla) - didn't know about the Forum then :roll:
Did state that there were no extenuating circumstances, so at least I won't have to try and go back on that one...
Would just like to say that I wish all those with these horrendously complicated appeals all the best (and the others as well, of course), but it must be such a nightmare trying to put all the right info together, always thinking that you may have forgotten something and included the wrong thing.
I think we should all get together after the event and before the results are out and celebrate :D
Totty
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

That's fine Totty!
tottington wrote: I think we should all get together after the event and before the results are out and celebrate :D
That could be a little more tricky! The appeal results letter is usually posted on the 1st or 2nd day after the hearing. The decision on each case is made as soon as the school books, etc, have been looked at and returned to the parent. The official timing is "7 working days" but my experience is that most parents hear within 3-4 days at the most.

If, on the other hand, you wish to organise a non-stop party at Tottington Hall between now and late February, I am sure that I could manage to turn up a couple of times! :wink:

S-A
tottington

Post by tottington »

Hi Sally-Anne,
I think I'll go with the party at Tottington Hall - might meet my Wallace, who knows... :lol:
I remember after our last appeal, we got the dreaded letter within 2 days (well, looking on the bright side, at least it wasn't a case of 'prolonging the agony'!)
Totty
tottington

Post by tottington »

Hi Sally-Anne/Etienne,
just a quick question regarding CAT scores: I mentioned in my 'speech' (very briefly/1 sentence) that his high VR and NVR scores place him in the gifted range (130-141), and equally, that the comparatively low QR score of 107 is still at the top end of the average range (as you pointed out in your replies, Sally-Anne).
My question is therefore where exactly are these ranges defined, i.e. guidelines of some description etc? Just thought it'd be nice to be able to refer to the actual source (I'm sure they know, but they may be wondering where I got this from :) ).
My 'presentation' is quite short, about an A4 page, line spacing 1.5 (so clerk can add comments if necessary), and bullet points, so not masses of text. Have sub-divided academic evidence into 1) alternative evidence of high reasoning ability (i.e. CATs) and 2) Academic evidence (school).
Many thanks
tottington (it's a tottington sort of day :roll: ))
tottington

Post by tottington »

BTW - the speech isn't just one sentence, but it's shorter than my posts :lol:
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi totty

The approach you are taking sounds fine.

If you Google "cats scores" the second link should be to a document in MS Word produced by GL Assessment (who produce the tests) which explains everything. I can't link directly to it here, unless some wiser soul than me can find the link on the GL Assessment site.

Let me know if you can't find it.

S-A
Morning Glory

Post by Morning Glory »

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now