Bucks "Order of Suitability"

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kam

Post by kam »

Hi Guest55,

We are hoping to see the head about this tomorrow (3rd Jan).

The year group has 35 children, however only 28 were ranked. Our son was ranked 24th out of the total 28 ranked.

Of the 28, 8 were ranked as 1 of which 7 passed.

17 children were ranked with 2s for recommendation, of which 10 passed, one of whom was ranked below our son.

3 were ranked with 3, 1 of whom passed.

16 children passed who were above our son, 2 were ranked below our son and passed, one of whom was ranked by the Head as 3:3!!!

If the Head's rankings are 'suspect', how can we show this at the hearing? If we cast too much doubt on the Head's ranking ability, might this jeopardise the rest of the supportive evidence that we are relying on that has come from the Head?

Our son has only been at this school since Sept 05, prior to which he was at another Bucks school for 1 term, and prior to that at an Independent school out of county. Might the fact that the Head did not 'know' our son as well as the other children affect the ranking he was given?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hi,

It's encouraging the pupils below your child reached 121 - yes, it appears the Head my not have known your child well if they have only attended the school for a year. It will be wirth saying something about the changes in school - not in great detail of course.

What % normally achieve 121+? What % of Y6s get level 5? The panel will know if this Head is good at predictions - although the 'order of suitability' was suspended for a few years. I understand that appeal panel asked for its return as it helped them - it certainly would have been useful in our child's case to explain the data more clearly.
kam

Post by kam »

What would you suggest we speak to the Head about tomorrow?

Realistically, we could be quizzed by the Panel about the OSR, and not have a clue how the Head arrived at this ranking.

Any suggestions?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hi,

I would politely ask how the order was arrived at - say you are confused. Take notes about what is said and check the rules have been followed [read the book about how the Headteacher should have arrived at the order].

When was the order done? Would the order be different now? By that I mean, has your child [or the Head's knowledge] improved significantly? Even a note to that effect - copied six times - would help. Are top 5s expected - again a note would help.

Hopefully, Etienne may have time to get on this forum to help -
kam

Post by kam »

Thanks Guest55,

I shall report back after my chat with the Head.

Here's hoping Etienne has time before Friday 5th Jan.......
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hi,

You got PM Etienne as you are a member.

Don't get the 'order' thing out of proportion - focus on academic evidence as the scores are consistent and close to 121 - I will keep my fingers crossed.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hi,

You could PM Etienne as you are a member.

Don't get the 'order' thing out of proportion - focus on academic evidence as the scores are consistent and close to 121 - I will keep my fingers crossed.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear kam

I've not a great deal to add to what Guest55 has written. A passrate of 18/35 suggests this is an able year group. I wouldn't get too exercised about the position of 24th. If the 18 who passed had been ranked numbers 1-18, then you would indeed have had a problem! As it is, the panel will see the anomalies in the head's O. of S., including the fact that children ranked lower than 24th qualified.

I wouldn't raise the issue of the rankings yourself, although the panel might do so. They won't necessarily expect you to respond - their questions are more likely to be directed at the LA representative. Nevertheless, I think it's a good idea to be prepared and to find out how the head did the rankings, because it's almost a certainty that the LA rep. won't know!

Guest55, I beg to differ with you about the top 25%. I know your own experience was different, but it frankly amazes me that no one present (panel or LA rep.) understood that the significance of the top 25% depends entirely on the ability of the year group! I can't explain what was going on in the minds of those who were there, and really think this was a one-off.
Guest55 wrote: I would politely ask how the order was arrived at - say you are confused. Take notes about what is said and check the rules have been followed [read the book about how the Headteacher should have arrived at the order].

When was the order done? Would the order be different now? By that I mean, has your child [or the Head's knowledge] improved significantly? Even a note to that effect - copied six times - would help. Are top 5s expected - again a note would help.
Good advice above!
Etienne
kam

Post by kam »

Thank you Etienne and Guest55,

I shall speak with the Head tomorrow, and make as many notes as possible.

Hopefully, some light may be shed on how the rankings were arrived at.

Question, presumably Heads are asked to submit Order of Suitability rankings in advance of release of VRTS?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Yes, before 17th Nov.

Good luck
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now