interpreting head's recommendations

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

123bucks

interpreting head's recommendations

Post by 123bucks »

Hi,

As first time users to the site, thank you for all the advice and support, especially to Etienne and Sally-Anne. Thank you!

Can we ask for advice on the head's recommendations please and how we should handle it at the appeal? The scores are:

1:1 10(6)
1:2 1(1)
1:3 0(0)
2:1 10(1)
2:2 10(1)
2:3 1(1)
3:1 1(0)
3:2 0(0)
3:3 0(0)

They appear rather inaccurate to us.

Our ds has a 2:2 recommendation and scores 113 and 118. We have 3 '5's predicted at SATS. We also have an ed psych report from dec 09 which we think is helpful. Could PM you with details.

We would really value your advice please. Thanks!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear 123bucks

I understand your concern. Looking at the HTR figures, they do not appear on the surface to help your case, but the '!' recommendations aren't too bad, and the '2' recommendations could have included a lot of children on the borderline. Let's hope the panel will conclude that they cannot draw any firm conclusions.

Unless you're aware of a possible explanation (e.g. a change of headteacher/class teacher), it's not really an issue for you to address. Most panels are not going to ask parents to comment, although we do hear of the odd occasion when they do. As I've said in another thread, if this happens, you could reply "We're sorry but we don't feel qualified to comment on the headteacher's overall recommendations."

If you'd like to send the EP report to the Appeals Box, I'll try and have a look at it over the weekend.
Etienne
123bucks

Post by 123bucks »

Thank you Etienne,

Have sent EP report to appeals box this morning.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks. For what it's worth, it's one of the best reports I've seen, and in my opinion you do have a good case. Ultimately, of course, it is for your particular IAP to decide how much weight to give to each individual piece of evidence.

I would suggest that you take the panel carefully through the EP report, highlighting the really important points - something that you probably already plan to do!

Could you tell me, either here or via the Appeals Box, whether your son's class teacher knew him before year 6?
Etienne
123bucks

Post by 123bucks »

Thank you Etienne , feeliing very emotional after receiving you response!

Yes the class 6 teacher did know him -I will send you more details via appeals box.
123bucks

Post by 123bucks »

We had our appeal on Monday and were hugely relieved to receive the letter today indicating that we were successful.

We had felt quite pessemistic after the hearing, it felt that the panel had not really understood our extenuating circumstances or ed psych report. A very difficult few days awaiting the result.

I really would like to express my heartfelt thanks to the forum and for the wisdom and kindness of Etienne and Sally-Anne. Your support is invaluable.

Very best wishes to all who have appeals to come or are awaiting results.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Excellent news - well done you!!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Wonderful news! I'm so very pleased for you.

It can be very difficult to tell what the panel are thinking, even if the line of questioning appears tough or sceptical. Your case was strong enough to stand up to scrutiny .......... Many congratulations! :D
Etienne
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

WELL DONE ... CONGRATULATIONS :D

I'm so pleased for you and your DS x x x
Heartmum x x x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now