Slough Grammar School Appeal for Non-qualification

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ardmore

Post by ardmore »

Dear All
I must thank you all for your support. I appeared before the appeal panel yesterday. It did not go very well as the panel made some observation, remarks that I could not address. One of them was his score in Langley is 112. This is not fantastic enough. two points more than score in SGS (110). That means that is where he is. He may not get offer from LGS at such low score. I did not say anything when the panel chair made that remarks. He did not ask me any question at that time. Later on it came to my mind that I could have said something like well a 111 is good enough historically to get into SGS. We are here to make a case for his eligibility to grammar school i.e. 111 not whether he will miss LGS because of 112. I could not say this as it did not spring to mind in flash.. I know I lost.

The other comment from the chair was his SATS predictions are all 5B and 5C , he needs 5A to be in grammar school.
I left the appeal with disappointment, now I will have to accept the reality.

He passed in Wilson boys with good score but 360 passed for 150 places and we have to move home if he gets an offer which is very stressful.
We still have two results to come: Sutton boys and Tiffin. We will have to wait till 2nd March.

Neverthless I thank all of you especially Chad and Etienne for all the supports all along.
chad

Post by chad »

Really sorry to hear that you do not think it went well...... The 'need all 5a's' comment was very harsh as speaking to the grammar school teachers when my son did the 11+ they all agreed that 5's (whatever the subdivisions) were what they were looking for.
I also agree that just because 112 may not get an offer from Langley it still means that he has reached the qualifying mark in a comparable exam.
I do hope you receive good news but the 'Slough' appeals are notoriously hard.
You have done all you could........

Chad
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/748/748895c3fyugpiju.gif[/img]
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear ardmore

I think it could be difficult for the chair to substantiate a statement that 5As are needed to be in grammar school. In neighbouring Bucks I believe around two-thirds or three-quarters of children entering grammar school have three straight 5s - irrespective of whether the levels are 5a, 5b or 5c!

As far as I can tell, the chair's remarks sound inappropriate, and you might have grounds for a complaint to the ombudsman that the hearing was unfair.

The ombudsman has had dealings with the conduct of appeals at this school before.
Etienne
ardmore

Post by ardmore »

Chad, Etiene and others
What a pleasant surprise !!! I won the SGS appeal.. could not believe it, as i had a pathetic performance on the appeal day.. went alone with a cool frame of mind.. left with shocking disapointment.

could not have been possible without your help and guidance.. I am grateful to all of you..
Milla

Post by Milla »

well that's brought a smile to my face (and am going to leave the baby on for this one)
Fantastic news, you must be utterly thrilled.
Have a great weekend. You will, you will!
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

thats great news, perhaps you could add your experience to the "feedback" sticky to help others :D
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

:D :D :D
EXCELLENT NEWS ... well done to you and your DS x x x
Heartmum x x x
Milla

Post by Milla »

(PS It just shows what an unreliable thing our own judgement can be!)
Nxx

Post by Nxx »

Well Done Ardmore and Ardmore DS! :D

Does this mean that we won't be seeing you at the Wilsons Induction Day?All the bestxx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It did not go very well ..... I know I lost ..... I left the appeal with disappointment, now I will have to accept the reality.
I'll add this to my collection of famous last words! :lol:

Brilliant news!

Many congratulations! I'm so pleased for you.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now