unsucessful appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tbag

Post by tbag »

hermanmunster wrote:Tbag, I did wonder if that was the case as 227 is the Skipton pass mark this year.

It is very difficult with selection appeals, I was looking at the actual numbres of successful appeals each year and the numbers are very low. There can be up to 50 appeals and there are rarely more than 7 or 8 succesful appeals and the kids I know who have succesfully appealed have tended to have scores very close to the pass mark. ie one or two points below.

What options are you looking at re schools? depends I suppose which bit ot he patch you are in??? What did you put on your CAF
I live in skipton and put upper wharfedale for second choice.
tbag

Post by tbag »

do you think the panel have been fair?
tbag

Post by tbag »

hermanmunster wrote:Tbag, I did wonder if that was the case as 227 is the Skipton pass mark this year.

It is very difficult with selection appeals, I was looking at the actual numbres of successful appeals each year and the numbers are very low. There can be up to 50 appeals and there are rarely more than 7 or 8 succesful appeals and the kids I know who have succesfully appealed have tended to have scores very close to the pass mark. ie one or two points below.

What options are you looking at re schools? depends I suppose which bit ot he patch you are in??? What did you put on your CAF
in skipton put down upper wharfedale
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Tbag

It is difficult so say about the appeal panel as none of us were there / haven't seen the notes etc.

However your score 213 was quite a way below the pass mark and if you think about it there will be very large number of children who also scored between 227 and 213, a great many of whom may also have got predicted 5's at SATS (about 35% of kids get 3 5's at KS2 - far more than grammar schools can take).

As I mentioned the succesful appeals I have heard of tend to be when the score is only a very few points away from the pass mark ie. 224,225 or 226.

I suspect that the only chance of having a succesful selection appeal with a score of 213 is if there are really strong extenuating circumstances eg traumatic domestic events very close to the test together with VERY strong evidence of academic ability.

I hope that you can get a place at Upper Wharefdale, though the catchment area can be very variable. I know some kids there and they are very happy - occasionally some take a test to move to the GS in year 8 and also more move to GS for the sixth form. Don't what else you put on your form but there are quite a number of children from Skipton who get the bus to Settle Middle school each day so that may be somewhere else to look at.

Good luck with it all!
PS re th catchment area for Upper Wharfedale - the number of year 6 children in the whole patch seems lower this year so KFC that they will be able offer to a wider area :wink:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now