Junior School wants me to Appeal. (Berkshire)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KMWH

Junior School wants me to Appeal. (Berkshire)

Post by KMWH »

Hi to all and sorry it's late.

My Son sat his 11+ at Langley, and that was the only Grammar I listed on the application form with Hillingdon Borough. Now I wish I had put Heschel as I now hear it's a Maths school, with Maths being his strongest subject.

Since Reception he has had rave reviews, teachers very impressed. His effort day in and day out is 110%, not matter what the subject. Grammar had been talked about by his teachers since year 3.

He scored 108 average. His Maths was 115, VR 106 and NVR 103. In his practice tests at home, NVR was his least favourite.

He is predicted to achieve level 5 in KS2, all subjects.

His school is shocked to say the least. They have always said if there was one boy who would go to Grammar school, it would be him. I don't like them blowing hot air up his backside constantly, but have been unable to supress this! The headteacher and gifted and talented teacher wants to appeal, and they are planning to write letters to support the appeal process. The school says that he is more than capable of maintaining the high standards needed for Grammar school, and that his personality and ability would be best suited to grammar.

I wasn't planning to appeal, but now think after the school saying to me that they want to appeal, that I should, but to be honest am unsure whether to, how to and what to say.

There are homelife problems that may have contributed to his score, I really don't want to mention to an appeal panel that I am in the process of getting divorced. This occured just 3 days before he sat the test. I didn't think it would have an effect, but maybe it has.

Does anyone have any advice they could give me, or what the procedure is? What are the chances of him receiving a place based on the 108 score?

I'm really sorry for the long post, but I am looking to gain advice in the appeals area and thought it best to explain why we might follow this course.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi KMWH,

As far as I know, you have a good case for appeal, but I'll leave the details to Etienne.

Here's a link to last year appeal leaflet from Herschel website. It is the only link to any appeal advice in Slough at the moment.
http://herschel.slough.digitalbrain.com ... dmissions/

I just wanted to comment on your school choice situation.

If your appeal is successful, you will receive an offer for any Slough grammar listed in your application form. However, there will be a good chance that Langley will be full. They are usually full with straight passes with scores above 115.
There is no point in having Herschel as second choice, because they will also be full with first choices.
Your best bet is to add Slough Grammar as second choice.
You need to go to Langley grammar to add it to the Sough consortium application form, AND also add it to the Common application form for the council.

Please ask if you any question.

Best of luck

Catherine
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear KMWH

If you haven't already done so, read:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... nswers.php

You might like to adapt the following letter:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=1277

It sounds as if it would be well worth an appeal.

Regards
Etienne
JuliaB

Post by JuliaB »

Sound advice already given.

In addition, I would think of some useful statements to say at the appeal, like 'His verbal reasoning skills continues to improve' and draw their attention to that great Maths score. You have nothing to lose from appealling, and it sounds like you have full school backing! Have you got a plan B regarding choice of school if you are not successful?

JuliaB