Lincolnshire Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
valiantlad

Post by valiantlad »

Thanks for your help. Yes the HT will write a letter and her class teacher will also, giving information over the last 12 months, they think that she's gone into a bit of a shell which I think is understandable.

I have not sent the paper work off yet but want to add some after school stuff etc to it.

I've been a bit concerned since I wrote the timeline, but I guess they are the facts of the matter.

Thanks - I've been quite concerned and a little apprehensive since I posted it.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

You have more than enough in the way of extenuating circumstances to explain a shortfall of 3 marks.

My only concern is whether there's going to be enough academic evidence.
Etienne
valiantlad

Post by valiantlad »

I think if she was further away from attaining the required mark, I probably would not bother.

I think I've nothing to lose and the appeal panel will judge all cases on their merit.

Appeal upheld - great

If not - C'est la vie

Let you know what happens - thanks to all who have posted comments.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

OK, it's your case, but do at least look at the sort of academic evidence that could strengthen an appeal ......
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#b11
Etienne
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Just to say good luck Valiant lad :)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Valiantlad

I am, like Etienne, very concerned about the balance of your case in terms of extentuating circumstances versus academic evidence.

You have the former all sorted out, and you have done a very good job of presenting the information.

I really would urge you most strongly to hunt down the academic evidence now, because that is a crucial facet of the appeal. Has your daughter completed CATs, Optional SATs, Reading tests, taken mock SATs?

Such a small shortfall in marks suggests that she is naturally bright and that she has performed very well despite everything. I think it would be sad if the case were not to succeed for want of academic evidence.

Can you possibly run to the expense of an EP report? It would be around £400 or so, possibly a little less in your area.

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
tillytonk

Post by tillytonk »

As you know we had a successful appeal for the same school last year. In our academic evidence we put recent reding score, recent spelling score and rammed home the age difference ie how far above her age range she was. We included her mock SAT scores which the class teacher had by then and also her scores at the end of KS1.Our academic evidence was great our mitigating circumstances were weak. Having spoken to lots of people both before and since they all say academics is the one to concentrate on. There were several others with the same score as us 217 and even more above that. Not all got in and so I concluded that it must have been down to our eveidence. You can ask her teacher for up to date reading and spelling tests, they only take a short time to compile and I believe helped our case a lot. Of course only submit them if they are good ie 18months to 2 years above her age. Sorry if I have rambled just trying to remember what we put in!! Good luck. Having said all that my other daughter attends a local comp and is doing fab. She did pass the 11+ but was not Grammer school material in any way and is now in year 9 and very happy.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The problem with this case is that the extenuating circumstances have been prolonged and extreme, and I suspect that most of the curriculum evidence is going to be below grammar school standard. In one sense that's a good thing, because it confirms how serious the impact of the extenuating circumstances has been. However, it does at the same time raise some doubts about academic ability. I feel sure the current headteacher will be as supportive as possible, but most appeal panels will expect to see some hard evidence of ability.

As she was only a few marks short of what was needed in the 11+, it suggests she could be naturally bright, but it's very important to counter any thought that the 11+ result might have been a fluke! This is why alternative academic evidence really does matter.

Unless there is something available like high CAT scores from the primary school (and not all schools do them), I think Valiantlad needs an educational psychologist's report. This could well provide significant evidence of academic ability, and maximise the chances of a successful appeal.
Etienne
valiantlad

Post by valiantlad »

Appeal was commenced on the 4th May where the school and the LEA laid out there case to appellants, of which ther were 27.

Individual appeal held on the 5th May.

Letter received 15th May - appeal upheld - all the grief now seems worth it.

Thanks to all who helped.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Congratulations, I am really pleased for you. Despite what reads to be a difficult appeal you pulled it off and should be very proud!!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now