Mistake on admissions form

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

teacher

Mistake on admissions form

Post by teacher »

Hi all!
Can anyone help me with this problem? A friend lives in the catchment area for the local grammar school but lives in a different county. His son took the 11+ exam in October and he has now received an e-mail saying that he has received his firdt choice (comp). He realises that he did not put down GS as first choice on the application form.!!!.mainly I suspect as there was no option for it on it, naturally. I think he thought that having taken it his son would automatically be 'registered' for the GS system. We are talking about a very clever boy here who I know would have had an excellent chance of passing. Does he ring the GS catchment Admissions Office and 'fess up? Try and just see if the paper was marked and how his son did before taking it further?
All ideas gratefully received as Dad is very, very upset.
Thank you!
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Teacher,

You didn't say what the respective counties were - this is quite significant.

Phoning up the Admissions Office for catchment probably won't make any difference, they won't be allowed to offer him a place because the preference form from his home county states his priorities and they have to follow procedures.

The only way round this problem is to:-

1. Check his score with the GS and find if he would have been successful.
2. Speak to the school and the catchment admissions office and see if they are prepared to accept a late admission if you can get the home county LEA to chance the preference. If they will then.
3. Speak to the home county LEA and try to persuade them to change the preference form and resubmit to the catchment Admissions office.

He would not get an automatic place in this situation but would be on the waiting list if a child declined the offer.

We manage to do this 1 successfully a couple fo years ago for a Worcs parent applying to B/Ham KE Foundation grammars, but the situation was slightly different as there was only 3 choices for Worcs compared to 6 in B/Ham.

Failing that you could try for a transfer at the end of year-7

Hope this helps.
teacher

Post by teacher »

Hi Ken,

It's Warks/Oxon counties i.e. He is in Oxon and it's KES in Stratford
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now