No Offer At All

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
WorriedSick

Post by WorriedSick »

Hello Capers. No, our online application was not lost. The LEA said there was no availability in any of the selectives and non-selectives we chose hnece the no-offer letter. They said they would find 'something' before september...which does not fill us with a lot of hope.
watfordmum66

Post by watfordmum66 »

This must be a dreadful situation to be in. I feel so sorry that after all this time you now have to contend with this.

Is there any hope for continued Interest lists ?

really hoping this is resolved quickly for you and sending you cyber hugs.

Good Luck
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

WorriedSick wrote:Etienne, I have sent in some background info about my sitaution to the appeal box. I would like to have some advice about what my chances are for the appeal that i want to go through. Whether i should even be considering it. I am not very objective right now hence the appeal for help. I know what i would like for my DD and know what she would like for herself. Whether or not this is realistic given the circumstances, i don't know. Your advice would be much much appreciated.
Dear WorriedSick

Thanks for your message.

I'm afraid I cannot comment on your chances of success at the schools you mention. If they're foundation or voluntary aided schools, you should write to them (preferably by recorded delivery) requesting details under the Freedom of Information Act of the total number of appeals in each of the last three years, and how many of these were successful. (In the case of an LA school, this request should be made to the local authority.) That should give you an idea of what odds you face.

For general advice about appeals, you should read the Q&As very carefully. (Follow link at top of page.) Section C2 discusses the sort of arguments you would need to put forward for an oversubscription appeal.

Meanwhile I suggest you do submit an appeal, if only to keep your options open. You don't have to state your case at the moment (just write "reasons to follow"). There's nothing to stop you cancelling an appeal if you change your mind at a later stage. There's a lot to be said for keeping your options open, and not taking hasty decisions at a time of such stress.

I find it outrageous that an admissions officer at an own-admission authority school should try to discourage you from appealing. You should insist on an appeal form. Come back to us if you still have difficulty getting one, and we can advise you what to do next.
Etienne
Amber

Post by Amber »

Nothing at all useful to say, just sending warm thoughts your way and hoping that this hideous situation is resolved soon.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Amber wrote:Nothing at all useful to say, just sending warm thoughts your way and hoping that this hideous situation is resolved soon.
My thoughts too x x x
Heartmum x x x
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

WorriedSick wrote:The LEA said there was no availability in any of the selectives and non-selectives we chose hnece the no-offer letter.
I didnt know that LEA can actually do that. I thought everyone gets a school in March. Worriedsick I hope it all works out for you in the end and it must be hard for your DC too living in such limbo when most know where they are going to
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Really sorry to hear of your awful situation Worried Sick and just hope it is resolved very quickly. The waiting must be dreadful.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I can only re-iterate what everyone else has said, this is a truly awful situation, and I hope it is resolved soon. Good luck
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

As if the long drawn out process isn't enough, you have to go through this as well!!

So very sorry for you, hope they make you an offer soon.
jingle

Post by jingle »

Here here to that!
Wishing you well and a very quick resolution. x